chapter 9

Xia Xun was stunned: “What?”

They set off in the afternoon and it had only been an hour since they left Qi Mansion.

The sky that was originally clear got covered by dark clouds at some point.

Xia Xun looked up and couldn’t even find where the sun was.

Qi Yan did not seem to worry and continued to walk deeper through the lush towering trees.

Xia Xun stopped:

“Since you can’t find the direction, how can we go back? You insist on going forward, where are you going?”

Qi Yan’s tone was steady and calm:

“Don’t worry, when Qi Hui sees we haven’t come to Wuyuan, he will naturally look for us.”

He looked back at Xia Xun and smiled:

“Why are you so anxious? Today is a rare free day. Wouldn’t it be more interesting to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the mountains and fields than to see Wuyuan that had been burned by fire?”

With his smug expression, Xia Xun couldn’t help suspecting that he had deliberately led him off the road.

Qi Yan continued:

“I vaguely remember that there is a stream ahead flowing from Wuyuan. If we get to the water and follow it upstream, we should be able to find the way.”

With him saying that, Xia Xun followed him.

Along the way, neither of them talked.

Xia Xun was not in the mood to appreciate the mountain flowers and plants. Qi Yan, who proposed to see the flowers, just walked intently, without any sign of admiring the vegetation.

They just walked like this until the dim sky surrounded them from all sides.

The stream that Qi Yan mentioned finally appeared in front of them.

Xia Xun couldn’t walk anymore, so he sat down on the big rock by the stream, leaning against a tree trunk.

Qi Yan took out a fire flint from his sleeve:

“Qi Hui must already know that we are lost. He should have sent someone to find us. We’ll make a fire. With the light of the fire, it will be easier for them to find us.”

He flicked lightly, and the fire flint sent some sparks.

He found a few branches at random and threw them together to burn.

After smoldering for a long time, the branches did not catch fire.

Xia Xun had planned to watch from the sidelines, but in the late summer wind his body quickly became cold and he urgently felt the need to warm up.

He stood up, looked around in the dim light, found a few branches on the trees far from the ground, broke them off and tossed them to Qi Yan.

Qi Yan took them and asked:

“What is the difference between these and those I used?”

While he said that, a few sparks from the fire flint caught Xia Xun’s newly found branches and they instantly ignited.

Qi Yan looked at Xia Xun in surprise.

Xia Xun took the burning branches from his hands, put them on the ground and pulled out a few clumps of dry moss from the surface of the stone.

There had been no rain for several days and the moss was perfectly dry.

He scattered the moss on the fire, and the flames rose up, burning more and more vigorously.