chapter 22

Xia Xun walked over slowly and sat down beside Qi Yan.

Qi Yan asked, “Which one did the teacher test?”

Xia Xun said it was the “First year of Yin Gong”.

Qi Yan said:

“Zheng Bo defeats Duan Yuyan? Duke Zhuang of Zheng’s mother, Jiang, disliked him and favoured her younger son, and later even—”

Xia Xun hurriedly said:

“I know what it says! Although I can’t memorise it, I can understand it! Don’t underestimate me!”

Qi Yan said mildly:

“I didn’t underestimate you. I didn’t think you would not understand. I think you just don’t like it.”

Xia Xun nodded again and again.

Qi Yan continued:

“After you read it, what do you think?”

Xia Xun curled his lips:

“I don’t want to say… if I say it, you will laugh at me!”

Qi Yan repeatedly promised that he would never.

Xia Xun’s voice was thin like a mosquito’s squeak:

“I just think… Duke Zhuang of Zheng was pretty weird and pitiful…”

Qi Yan wondered:

“Duke Zhuang of Zheng was very talented and quite capable. How can you think he is pitiful?”

Xia Xun slapped the table:

“Look! I said you would laugh at me!”

Qi Yan apologised to him. Xia Xun waved his hand and forgave him generously.

Qi Yan asked: “You haven’t said yet, why do you see him this way?”

Xia Xun hesitated and stammered:

“Pitiful isn’t quite the right word, that is, that is… I just didn’t expect that a mother would dislike her biological child… I thought that my mother didn’t like me because I was not her biological child…”

Qi Yan did not comment, nor did he laugh at Xia Xun or said it was a childish talk. He tucked Xia Xun’s hair behind his ears, revealing the wound he had hidden.

Xia Xun looked at him blankly; Qi Yan’s eyes were full of pity.

Xia Xun’s chest suddenly filled with warmth. No one had ever looked at him with such eyes. Qi Yan was the only one.

At that moment, the grievances in Xia Xun’s heart disappeared, and he couldn’t even feel the pain when Qi Yan was dealing with his wound.

He suddenly felt that it was no big deal to be injured and it was no big deal to be punished by kneeling in the ancestral hall. As long as Qi Yan could look at him like this, it would be worth everything.

What’s more, Qi Yan was so handsome.

Xia Xun stared at him with bated breath, trying to read more heartache and pity on his face.

Qi Yan raised his gaze slightly, the light in his eyes almost scorching Xia Xun:

“Where are you looking? Does it hurt?”

Xia Xun stared at the mole at the corner of his eye and murmured:

“Has anyone ever said that you are very good-looking?”

Qi Yan laughed:

“What are you talking about at this time? Have you finished copying the text fifty times?”