chapter 45

Xia Xun was going to go see Qi Yan, but when he heard that he had woken up, he stopped instead.

After standing for a while, he said to Zhi Gui, “…got it, I’ll go back to my room first.”

He turned around and walked away.

Zhi Gui asked urgently, “Won’t you go in to see the lord? The lord, he—”

Xia Xun said quickly: “I’m not a doctor and I don’t know how to look after patients, so what’s the use of going in?”

Zhi Gui blocked his way. “Young Master, forgive me for asking a question…. Why do you treat the lord alone so indifferently?”

Xia Xun immediately said, “I—”

Zhi Gui did not give him a chance to speak:

“This slave has not spent much time with you, but I can see that you are kind and gentle, always sympathetic to this slave’s difficulties. Your mouth is hard but your heart is soft. You even have so much love for your dog. But only when facing the lord, you are always as cold as frost and speak harshly. No matter how much this slave thinks about it, I really can’t figure out why.”

Xia Xun’s sore spot was poked and his tone immediately cooled down: “How can you know my past with him? You don’t know a single thing about what he has done to me, so who are you to accuse me?”

He left Zhi Gui and walked forward.

Undeterred, Zhi Gui chased after him, asking:

“Young Master! They all said that the lord was wounded by you, and the two stab wounds on the lord’s body are bone deep and hideous. Could they really be caused by Young Master’s hands?”

Xia Xun slowly stopped in his tracks.

Zhi Gui came up to his side and bowed.

“Young Master, it is true that this slave does not know what happened in the past, But I have seen with my own eyes, all these years, the lord was in despair, living a life of no joy. It was Young Master’s arrival that gave him life. No matter what Young Master’s grievances against the lord are, at least when the lord is injured, I implore you to go and see him.”

What Zhi Gui said was reasonable. Even though Xia Xun was hard-hearted, he still could not say “no” to it.

What’s more…

After a few deep breaths, Xia Xun said in a low voice:

“I do not want to see him and I do not know how to face him… I’ll just, just take a look, what can happen…”

He convinced himself.

He was the only one in Qi Yan’s room. Xia Xun stepped over the threshold, heard a sudden rustle and looked up. The night breeze passed by, making the candle flame sway and lifting the bed curtain. Qi Yan looked at Xia Xun through the thin bed veil.

Xia Xun’s thin figure was hazy, like a pale wandering spirit, as if as long as Qi Yan breathed hard, he would be blown away.

Qi Yan’s eyes were full of passion and eagerness, burning brightly, watching him step closer.

Xia Xun came to the bed, protecting the candle flame with his hand. The room was lit again, the previous dark shadows instantly dissipating.

When he got this far, he didn’t know what to do.

He avoided Qi Yan’s eyes, looked around a bit, and saw a bowl of dark medicinal liquid.

He asked, “Is this your medicine?”