chapter 16

Xia Xun’s bun loosened while he was in the carriage, a few strands of hair falling down over his face. His wooden hairpin was buried together with Yuzhu and only a strip of cloth was holding his hair. After a night of rain, it became very loose.

He Cong easily pulled out his hairpin and inserted it in Xia Xun’s hair.

“Don’t go unkempt like that! We can’t lose momentum to Qi Yan!”

The carriage stopped and Xia Xun pushed the door open, not expecting to see the scene in front of him.

A large group of people stood outside the gate of Qi Mansion. Judging by their clothes, they were all Qi Yan’s guards.

The sky was not fully lit yet and they were all still holding torches.

Their clothes were drenched, their shoes were muddy, as if they had been out all night. They looked pretty wretched.

Qi Mansion seemed to be in chaos.

There was something on the ground, covered with a white cloth, similar to a human form, like a corpse.

Qi Hui stood by the door, while Qi Yan stood in front of the carriage.

His hair was wet and his indigo-colored robe was so drenched that it turned black.

He seemed to have been in the rain more than Xia Xun.

Xia Xun was taken aback and did not get out of the carriage immediately.

Qi Yan didn’t move either. He seemed to be fixed in place by some spell, looking at Xia Xun motionlessly.

The expression in his eyes was extremely complicated.

They looked at each other for a short while, and then the spell that restrained Qi Yan was lifted.

He took a few steps towards Xia Xun to help him get out of the carriage.

Xia Xun instinctively shrank back, avoiding his touch.

Qi Yan suddenly grabbed his arm and dragged him out.

Xia Xun swayed, losing his balance and almost stepping on his foot.

“What are you doing—”

Before he finished speaking, he was already hugged hard by Qi Yan.

Qi Yan wrapped his arms around his back and held him tighter and tighter.

“…you are alive.” He sighed in Xia Xun’s ear: “You are still alive… great…”

His clothes were wetter than Xia Xun’s. As soon as he exerted force, the water from his robe dripped to the ground.

His body was very cold, and the side of his face against Xia Xun’s neck was even colder.

After holding him for a while, he slowly let Xia Xun go and pushed the scattered strands of hair away from his face.

Qi Hui walked from behind, holding a robe in his hands.

“My lord, put on a dress, you can’t catch a cold.”

Qi Yan took it and spread it out to put it on Xia Xun’s shoulders.

He Cong poked his head out of the carriage.

Qi Yan’s hands trembled, and the robe almost fell to the ground.

He didn’t expect that Xia Xun was sent back by He Cong.

He looked at He Cong and then at Xia Xun, his face full of disbelief.

His worries and uneasiness gradually receded, and an indescribable anxiety spread.

He Cong ignored him and only said to Xia Xun: