chapter 29

Xia Xun was awakened by the Hu man who patted him heavily on the face a few times without any mercy.

The pain made Xia Xun open his eyes quickly.

He was still beside the stream, sitting on the ground with his back against a large boulder.

Qi Yan lay flat on the side, his robe stripped off and all his wounds treated. Farther away, the corpses of the Bai Yue were strewn in various poses.

Xia Xun calmed down slightly. The Hu man was the only one who could have done those things. Since he treated Qi Yan’s wounds, it meant he didn’t want him to die.

It was already dark; the Hu man was sitting by the stream, chewing on a piece of hu cake.

He asked Xia Xun while eating:

“Now you should tell me, how did you know I was nearby? I think I hid well, how did you find out?”

“You—”

Xia Xun opened his mouth but didn’t have the strength to talk, feeling dizzy and sweating all over.

The Hu man let out a dissatisfied “tsk”:

“You are a big man and you are not injured, right? Why are you so weak?”

Xia Xun squeezed his temples tightly, waiting for the dizziness to pass.

The Hu man broke off a piece of cake and threw it to him. He didn’t catch it and it fell to the ground.

He picked it up from the ground and shoved it into his mouth.

The hu cake was dry and hard; Xia Xun chewed on it for a long time before trying to swallow it. Who knew that the cake would get stuck in his throat. He couldn’t get it down for a long time, his chest aching from choking.

He hammered his chest, trying to push the cake down. He could imagine the opponent’s expression without looking at the Hu man.

“Really useless!” The Hu man muttered, took the water flask from his belt and threw it over.

Xia Xun grabbed it, took a big sip and choked all over again.

It was not water, it was strong wine.

The Hu man took the flask away in disgust:

“Don’t drink if you don’t want to, don’t waste it. This wine is very expensive!”

With the lubrication of a few drops of wine, the cake slipped into his stomach and Xia Xun finally stopped coughing.

He wiped off the wine leaking from his chin, leaned against the boulder and gasped in embarrassment.

The Hu man stared at him closely: “You have eaten the cake and drunk the wine. It’s time for you to talk, right?”

Xia Xun licked his lips.

“Don’t worry, you hid very well, even Qi Yan didn’t notice you, let alone me.”

The Hu man raised one eyebrow and said curiously: “Then how did you know—?”

Xia Xun was straightforward:

“You once said that you followed Qi Yan from the day he arrived in Lingnan. Since you could follow him all the way from Lingnan to the capital, you would definitely not let him escape from your surveillance. Qingzhou is only a few hundred miles from the capital. If you want to know his whereabouts, you will follow him secretly.”

The Hu man curled his lips and said in dissatisfaction: “Am I so easy to guess?”

Xia Xun continued: