chapter 42

Qi Hui stood in front of Xia Xun.

“Impossible! Lord Chu, there must be a misunderstanding!”

Chu Anyu asked him back: “Then tell me, whose idea was it for Lord Qi to come to Tongchang teahouse?”

Qi Hui stuttered: “That…”

Chu Anyu looked at Xia Xun.

“It was the suggestion of this attendant surnamed Dong, right? Those archers have already confessed, saying that they got information that Lord Qi had a man surnamed Dong with him and that he would find a way to lure Lord Qi to Tongchang teahouse for the archers to assassinate him.”

Qi Hui was stunned, asking Xia Xun, “Young Master, is it really you?”

Xia Xun just looked at Qi Yan, ignoring them, giving no response.

Chu Anyu said sternly: “What are you waiting for? Arrest him!”

The soldiers swarmed up and grabbed Xia Xun, dragging him away.

Xia Xun’s soul seemed to be missing, so he didn’t resist at all.

But Qi Yan did not let go.

Even when he was injured so badly and unconscious, he still firmly clenched Xia Xun’s wrist.

When the soldiers saw this, a few more people came up and started trying to unclench Qi Yan’s fingers.

It just made Qi Yan grip harder.

Xia Xun’s wrist was throbbing in pain. He woodenly lowered his head, looking at Qi Yan’s hand. His little finger had been unclenched but the remaining four still clutched Xia Xun’s hand, not letting go.

Qi Hui made up his mind and flung himself down on his knees in front of Chu Anyu: “Even if the young master is really an inside man, Lord Chu can’t take him away!”

Chu Anyu said angrily: “The assassination of a court official is a major crime punishable by beheading! Why are you protecting the criminal?! Could it be — you are his accomplice?”

Qi Hui stepped in front of Xia Xun.

“Qi Hui doesn’t know the law and doesn’t know if he is a criminal! All I know is that my lord is injured and dying. He is still alive because the young master is here! If Lord Chu takes him away, my lord will not survive!

Chu Anyu flicked his sleeves in anger.

“Ridiculous! You are talking nonsense! Someone, drag Qi Hui down too!”

Qi Hui drew out his sword: “Lord Chu, if you want to kill me, I’m at your disposal. But if you insist on taking the young master away, Qi Hui will have to fight with you!”

Chu Anyu pointed at him and cursed.

“How dare you! I’m the governor of Qingzhou, appointed by His Majesty, why should you, a servant, behave so disrespectfully in front of me? Someone, give me—”

Xia Xun spoke up, his voice very low.

“There is no need to shout. When Qi Yan wakes up, I will surrender myself and be at the disposal of the governor.”

Chu Anyu’s eyebrows rose.

“Since when is it the prisoner’s turn to negotiate terms with the authorities?! This official—”

He swept a glance at Qi Yan on the bed and saw his pale profile and the heavy bandages wrapped all over his body.

The two stab wounds on Qi Yan’s body were oozing blood; the bandages were obviously wrapped very thickly, but the blood was still coming through.