chapter 41

Xia Xun was not ready.

Were these Fumeng Tancha’s people? Was this the kind of commotion he was going to make?

What’s more important…

Had Qi Yan already known about it?

“When did you… find out?”

Qi Yan looked very relaxed, as if completely unconcerned about his own fate.

He said: “I felt something wrong yesterday, and as soon as I came here today and saw the location of Tongchang teahouse, I had a little premonition.”

He smiled and asked:

“Are the people outside the ones you found? They really don’t do things carefully enough. The hoofprints of their horses can be seen on the mountain road outside and a jar of oil was broken at the entrance, the smell of the oil used to polish bowstrings unmistakable.”

Xia Xun was shocked.

“Did you know long ago? Then why did you come here? Why did you let Qi Hui leave your side?”

Qi Yan held his left hand tightly:

“I am really happy to see that your hand can now move freely. When I was injured, you carried me to the county magistrate, so I am already very satisfied… If you wanted to kill me, you could just tell me, why go to such great lengths?”

Xia Xun’s heart was beating like a drum, blood rushing to his brain. He could no longer think clearly.

He heard himself saying:

“I didn’t want to kill you. I just want to leave. If you let me go, let me go back to Lingnan, the people outside will not hurt you.”

Qi Yan shook his head: “I can give you my life, but as long as I live, I will not let you go.”

Xia Xun was anxious and angry.

“Why?! I just want to leave! Is it that hard for you?”

Qi Yan looked at him steadily and said without hesitation:

“It is hard. It’s more painful for me to watch you leave than to be killed.”

Xia Xun stammered: “You—!”

Qi Yan raised his hand and touched Xia Xun’s face with his fingertips, his touch full of affection.

For the first time, Xia Xun did not dodge.

Qi Yan asked obsessively: “Do you pity me? Pity a dying man?”

Xia Xun gritted his teeth. “…I told you, I don’t want your life!”

Qi Yan ignored his words, urging him instead.

“Do it quickly, I asked Qi Hui to withdraw but he is very keen, before long, he will find out that something is wrong.”

It was already dark and the archers outside the house lit torches, the firelight dancing in Qi Yan’s eyes.

Xia Xun stood up, overturning the table. The tea set on the table broke and the oil lamp fell on the floor, its light extinguished.

The room was pitch black. Xia Xun almost hissed:

“Don’t you think I won’t dare to kill you?!!!”

He had a short dagger hidden in his sleeve and was already holding its hilt in his palm.

Qi Yan walked towards him step by step, broken porcelain crunching under his feet.

“Do it. Dying by your hand is the happiest way to go I can think of.”

Xia Xun did not want to kill Qi Yan. But later, he did it anyway.