4. A new patient

Hopes POV 🥀

I got woken up at 6 by my alarm, lying in my bed in the small box room with my curls all over my face.

Making a low grumbling noise, I pulled myself up and reached out to the bedside table and fumbled for my glasses. I got up and got my nurses uniform ready, then jumped in the shower.

I worked product into my curly hair, still half asleep. I washed thoroughly then towel dried my hair and got dressed.
I wearily walked into the kitchen of the flat where I lived with two friends, Autumn and Scottie (both girls).
Autumn was holding a sizzling pan, her long blonde hair laying tangled over her dressing gown.
Scottie, knowing her was probably still asleep.

"Work today, Hopey?" Autumn asked, her tongue poking out in concentration as she tried to flip her pancake.

"No I just fancied to get up early and get dressed to go to a costume party." I replied sarcastically.

"Alright, snarky!" Autumn laughed.

I made my morning smoothie and swiped one of Autumns pancakes when she wasn't looking.

"I saw that!" Autumn snapped.

I flicked Autumns long hair in her face and then dodged her slap and ran to my room. I looked in the mirror, brushed pale gold eyeliner over my  dark eyes and swiped lipgloss across my lips.
I sprayed my favourite coconut perfume on, picked up my handbag and phone and left for work, the winter frost biting at my cheeks and the sun rising and sparkling in the puddles, the result of the thunderstorm last night.

I sat on the bus playing Britney Spears in my headphones, while checking my messages from my boss. A new patient, apparently famous! I assumed it was some guy well known in our town and my boss was having a pisstake. Famous people didn't come to our hospital.

I inspected my nails, which were long but unpainted. I had a bracelet with a "H" on it, me and my brother got matching ones, he had the exact same bracelet except with a "J".

When we got to my stop, I got off and hurried the quick walk through the woods until I reached the hospital car park. When I finished shifts in the evening it was always spooky walking through those woods, especially in the winter where it was basically pitch dark at that time.

I tried not to slip on the ice as I made my way across the car park towards the hospital entrance, my trainers scrunching in the small areas of snowy grass.