6. Famous patient

Hopes POV 🥀

The rumour that Michael Jackson, THE Michael Jackson was being brought here was being spread through the whole ward.
Grayson ward was the one I worked on, for adult men. These men made me feel close to my brother.

James was living in a bungalow at the edge of town, me and Juliette often popped in to check he was okay. I think me and my sister both had the same niggling fear,  that one day we'd find him dead, so it was scary first knocking at his door - both of us holding our breath until he answered and we could heave a sigh of relief.

"Hang on, why is he being brought here?" Asked Sofia, a short, fat Spanish nurse with a long braid. "Aren't there loads of places for famous people that he can go to?"

"The general hospital has a severe lack of beds, and none of the private psychiatric clinics have any space for him to move into. We needed to get somewhere for him as soon as possible and Clemmie Woods is the nearest place" answered Derek, a big black nurse who was often called to restraining patients because of his size and strength.

"Wow, ok." Sofia said, in her strong accent. She looked at me. "Hopey - you'll be the one settling him in."

I nodded and started picking at my nails again. Michael Jackson, THE Michael Jackson. I wondered how the other patients would react.

I found myself self consciously brushing my curls and reapplying mascara, knowing I'd be meeting Michael in only a couple of hours. I wondered what he'd be like .. snobbish, perhaps? But I'd seen his interviews and he always seemed quite sweet so I didn't know.
Anyway, he was my patient, so it was my job to make sure he was safe, comfortable and happy.