13. Getting to know Hope

Michaels POV 🥀

It was my 5th day here. I'd been put on a cocktail of meds that actually helped, despite the fact they made me sleep a lot.
Hope was off for three days, having her monthly break.

I missed her. She was funny, and a little crazy, and most of all, she was kind. On my second day here, the morning after the bathroom incident, she stayed with me and we talked for 2 and a half hours.
She told me about how she used to act out as a teenager, climb on roofs and refuse to come down unless she got her way.

She talked about her brother, she never told me his name but she told me her nickname for him was "Jammy Dodger". She clearly loved him, a lot. She also mentioned a younger sister, but didn't seem as happy and loving when talking about her.

She told me about stealing a car whilst high on drugs once, nearly getting arrested, then her brother helping her with a false alibi.
She giggled while telling me that, then said "Oh god that's an awful thing to tell a patient. Don't worry, I don't do that kind of stuff anymore."

I told her about my huge family and the misadventures me and my brothers used to get up to. She was very interested in my family, and I showed her pictures.
She glanced at the door to make sure no one was coming in, then pulled out her phone and showed me a tall, lean boy with dark floppy hair and dark eyes who looked very like Hope except for without glasses. "That's my brother." She told me.

"Me and him got suspended from school for a week after we got into the vents and they had to call the fire service to get us out." She was laughing now. "We still refused, but after a few hours we got bored and came out. My mum yelled at the two of us for hours."

She showed me a picture of her younger sister, a small pretty girl with straight shiny hair and a thick fringe falling over her tanned forehead. She had colouring, skin, and glasses like Hope, but wasn't as curvy as Hope was, and didn't have the same gorgeous curls.

"So you were a bit of a troublemaker, huh?" I teased.

"Absolutely, I was a little shit. So was my brother, to be honest. Probably why we're so close."

"Hope? Are you in there?" There was a loud knock at the door.

"Smithson? Is that you?" Hope called out.

"Yeah, we need you."

Hope rolled her eyes and patted my shoulder. "I'll be back later, Mike."

She smiled her sweet smile at me and waved before leaving the room, going with Smithson. I lay back in bed, tapping my fingers together.

They brought lunch along an hour later, I wasn't very hungry but they wanted me to put on weight, and if I didn't they'd give me these protein drinks that I really DIDNT want.
So I tried to eat, it was curry today - chicken, which is good because I love chicken.

I put a few forkfuls in my mouth then the sick feeling came back so I stopped. I sighed, missing my family suddenly. Jackie and Jermaine, two of my older brothers, came to visit a couple days ago, and Lisa Marie Presley wanted to visit tomorrow.

But no matter how many people came to visit, I still felt painfully alone.