7. Grayson ward

Michaels POV 🥀

The ambulance drive was around 40 minutes. Clemmie Woods hospital was the nearest hospital that had available beds. I was frightened, I hadn't really felt the fear until now but it was beginning to sink in.
I was going to a hospital where I'd never been before - in a town I didn't know.

I looked the place up on my phone, apparently it was surrounded by a small forest, between the towns of Blenwood and Chalklin. I looked through the website, at the pictures of the staff.

The staff on Grayson ward, the one I'd be going to, were a variety of mostly young men and women.
There was Sofia, a chubby looking lady with a long thick plait and small dark eyes.

Derek, a big dark man with matted braids, McKenzie, a skinny pale man with blonde hair, Lucie, a woman with dyed dark red hair and tattooed-on eyebrows, Valerie and Bailey, two practically identical white women with ginger hair - except Bailey was covered in freckles and Valerie wasn't.

Smithson, another black man but with short cropped hair and a lot of tattoos, and a very defined jawline.
I scrolled through a few more and was about to turn my phone off when someone caught my eye.

It was a young woman, big brown eyes framed by black lashes, dark green glasses, thick eyebrows and dark curls just past her shoulders. She had beautiful olive skin and plump lips.
I looked at her name, Hope Emerson.

A pretty name, I thought. I wondered if she'd be on today, she was beautiful and so captivating that I couldn't stop looking at her picture.

Then one of the ambulance men called back "We're here!" And I completely forgot about Hope and all the staff. All I felt was the heavy weight of anxiety in my stomach.
I tapped my fingers together and fiddled with one of my curls.

The ambulance van trundled to a stop, and I sat up straight, trying to get a look out the door as the paramedics slid it open. They assisted me across the icy car park to the glass front doors - then one of them pressed a green button and there was a shrill beeping noise.

A woman came to the door, I recognised her as Valerie - or was it Bailey? I peered to see if she had freckles or not. She did not - so that meant Valerie right? I'd forgotten half of what I read on that website.

She buzzed a button and the doors slid open and I cautiously stepped through them onto a blue carpet, and she led me through past the reception desk and through another door.

As we were halfway down the corridor, I realised the paramedics had gone. I paused and stared back, wondering if I should run for it.

Valerie - or Bailey, took my arm and said kindly "Come on Mr Jackson, it's this way." I hesitated for a second, then obediently followed her down the corridor.
This corridor had wooden tiles instead of blue carpet, I noticed.

Then we went through another set of doors, and turned left and then we were there, there was a big sign saying "Grayson ward" above some double doors.

"Here we are," said Valerie-Bailey-whoever and slid her card against a small black sensor and pulled the door open.