39. A disturbed night

Michaels POV 🥀

I had a reasonably relaxed evening, Hope wasn't in that day and i missed her, but the other nurses helped me join in with the activities.

I had a warm shower and asked Hayley to blow dry my hair - nurses aren't technically meant to but Hayley was a new student nurse and honestly didn't care less about the rules.

I sat in my bed for the evening watching TV, my hair spilling over my shoulders, my cotton pyjamas warm and soft against my skin.

At around half 8 there was a sudden, deafening bang - and it nearly scared me out of my skin. I looked around in confusion, then heard a loud yell and a bunch of swear words.

"What have you done with my wife?"
Oh god, Louis Holland was off again. "I'll beat you all to a pulp if you don't give my wife back! Where are you hiding her?" He roared.

"Louis! Please keep it down!" Snapped Derek. "Other patients are sleeping!"

"Give me back my wife you bastard!" Screamed Louis. "She was in my room two minutes ago talking away and now she's gone!"

"Well maybe she's gone to the toilet." Said Derek sarcastically.

"Don't you think I've checked there?" Louis bellowed. Then he called Derek a racial slur - and then another.

"Shut up!" I yelled, then immediately regretted it. I knew Louis was old and had schizophrenia but I couldn't bear hearing those racist slurs.

Louis was quiet for a second and then I heard banging again, on my door. "You want some of this? Come out and fight me, Jacko!"

I was surprised he even knew who I was, to be honest. He usually kept himself to himself, didn't interact with the other patients.

"You and your little curly haired slut! I know what you two get up to in here!"

I don't know how he found out about me and Hope but I got properly angry. "Fuck off, you sad old bastard!" I snapped back.

He roared and kicked my door, over and over again. Staff came out and began yelling at him to stop - it wasn't usual for Louis to act like this, he was usually very sweet and gentle.

I covered my ears, trembling with distress and anger at what Louis had called Hope. I very nearly stormed to the door, swung it open and let him have what for.

It went quiet after a while, and I removed my hands from my ears and wrapped my arms around my body, which felt skinnier than ever.

I rocked back and forth, wishing Hope was here. Maybe she'd be here tomorrow, and we could talk .. and maybe cuddle.
I knew we probably couldn't kiss again, we were lucky to not have been caught last time.

Yesterday night she had kissed me gently on the cheek before she went home and the night shift took over, but I gathered that was all I'd get after our proper kiss a few days ago.

I wanted to kiss her again, taste the strawberry lipgloss and feel her silky loose curls brushing against my face.

I wanted to so badly.