43. Free

Michaels POV 🥀

Saturday.
It was my last day here, I had a good look around before I was taken home.

The lounge, the corridor, my bedroom, even the bathroom.
Louis, surprisingly, came up and wrapped his arms around me.

I hugged him back, relieved that our fight was over.

"I'll miss you, Jacko." He whispered, "and so will Cheryl (his dead wife)."

I didn't particularly like being called Jacko, but I told him I'd miss him too, and that I hoped Cheryl would be okay. He grinned at me, showing his blackened teeth and all his fillings, then hobbled off back to his room.

It felt like a dream, this place had been my home for months, and now I'd probably never see it again.

The secure ambulance drove me back to Neverland, and when I got there it seemed .. different.

I said goodbye to the ambulance men and went straight up to my room. I felt empty and a bit confused, but I knew Hope would be here at 11am tomorrow morning.

I wanted to clean the house to look nice for her but I was too tired. I climbed into my bed and fell fast asleep.

I dreamt a lot of confusing dreams, but luckily they weren't necessarily nightmares.

I woke up at around midnight, and forgot where I was for a moment - and sat up, expecting to see my Clemmie Woods bedroom, but instead saw my own Neverland bedroom, then let out a sad sigh and went straight back to sleep.

It felt nice, not being checked on with a torch every couple of hours, and I slept throughout the rest of the night, and was woken up by banging.

I forgot where I was again and thought to myself 'Oh, Louis is off again'.
He often used to hit the walls with his walking frame when he got upset or annoyed, usually at night time.

I peered around the room and saw the morning light filtering through the curtains, and remembered everything. I was at home, but what was that knocking?

I glanced at my alarm clock, 10.57am. Hope! She was supposed to come around now, it must be her at the door.

I hastily changed into jeans and a T-shirt, brushed my hair and washed my mouth out with mouthwash, ate a spearmint polo mint - then sprayed on cologne and hurried downstairs.

She knocked again just as I was halfway down the stairs and I called out "Coming!" As I ran to the hall and pulled open the door.

Hope, Jermaine, Randy and Jackie were there. "Janet's in the car." Jermaine told me, "She forgot something."

Hope smiled awkwardly at me and moved out the way so my brothers could come in, and they engulfed me in a big bear hug.

"You feel so thin!" Jackie commented. "We need to feed you up!"

I nodded and forced out a laugh, knowing that wouldn't work as all my meds made me nauseous and reduced my appetite massively.

"We would have come yesterday, but the ambulance crew said you were looking really tired when you got back so we figured we'd let you rest." Randy said.

I smiled, and looked over at Hope.

Jermaine saw my look. "This is Hope Ellison, she's your carer for today." He told me.

"I know," I replied. "She worked at Clemmie Woods - she came to visit me in the hospital after I was found by the woods, remember?"

Jermaine stared at Hope. "I THOUGHT she looked familiar!"

Hope smiled awkwardly at my brothers, and said "it's actually Hope EMERSON, but thanks for introducing me!"

She laughed, and then Janet came in and hugged me, clinging to me as if she would never let go.

I hugged her back gently, resting my chin on her shoulder. I felt warm and loved, surrounded by all the people I loved most.

"Mom will be round later with Marlon, La Toya and Tito." Jermaine informed me.

"What about Rebbie?" I asked.

"She's working today, she can't. She really wants to see you though, so she'll be round some point this week." Jackie said.

I nodded, and looked at Hope. "Shall I show you around, Hope?"

She grinned and stepped inside, "Yes please!"

We showed her round the whole of Neverland, which took a good half an hour. She looked at everything in awe and amazement. "This place is amazing!" She breathed.

Last of all, I showed her my bedroom. It was almost twice the size of the Clemmie Woods lounge, but I felt awkward showing her it.

I knew she lived in a small apartment with two other girls, and I felt like I was showing off. She smiled at everything though, and told me time and time again how wonderful everything was.

Eventually my family left, and she came and sat on my bed with me, and grabbed my hand, stroking my palm.