23. Finding Mike

Michaels POV 🥀

I can hear crunching footsteps, and then an exclamation. I'm too cold and tired to move but I try to open my eyes, but my eyelids are as heavy as steel.

Where am I? I move my fingertips a little, feel a .. leaf? It's wet and icy cold. My nose hurts from the cold, my lips are dry and stuck together, I feel snot running down my face.
I try to move my head, but I don't have the energy.

"Hello, 911?" I hear a woman's voice and I try to move, to get away. I don't know where I am or what has happened, but I do know that I DONT want emergency services.

"N-n-n" I can't get the word "NO" out, so I try to shake my head to get my point across, but I still can't move.
"There's a man here ....." I can't hear anymore, I try to strain my ears to listen but all I can hear is mumbling.

I feel two warm fingers against my throat, "he has a pulse...." the woman says. I moan, and it actually comes out this time. "N-n-no..."
I said something! I can talk! "M-m fine.." I choke out, and I push my eyelids open.

The daylight shocks me, the sky is white and i can't see the sun but it's very bright.

"No..." I say it again. A word! I can say a word! "No, no, no, no, no..." I repeat over and over again, scared to say anything else in case I lose my ability to talk.
I lick my lips, clear my throat - "NO!"

Did she hear me? She must have done. "NO!" I say. "NO NO NO!"

"It's okay, sir, we're getting you help." I close my eyes again and feel her remove my sunglasses from my face. "NO!" I moan, almost in tears of frustration.

"Oh my god..." she says, "I think it's Michael Jackson...."

I mumbled "no.." but it hardly came out, I doubt she heard it. Then I gathered every ounce of strength in my body, and managed to open my eyes and push my head up just a little.

Then I retched and brought up water down the front of my hoodie, and that took all my strength so I collapsed back to the ground again, groaning.

"It's okay, sir, we're getting you help.." she repeated, but this time she was further away. Where was she going? No, it was me who was going. I was floating, floating into oblivion.