The wedding dance

Wille and I were out on the dancefloor, along with other guests at the wedding. The dinner had been long and lots of people had speeches. So did Wille. I knew he was anxious to speak in front of people, but he had done a wonderful job. I knew how much he loved Erik. How much it meant to him to see his brother happy. It meant everything to me to see him happy. One day, I hoped that it would be us. That he would smile at me like that on our own wedding day. In the world we were living in, it was a privilege that I could even dream about it. That I could openly dance with him. Hold his hand and kiss.

"You are so pretty tonight," I whispered in his ear. His smile was blinding.

"So are you," he replied in my ear. We danced so closely together I could feel his breaths on my neck. The music was loud in my ears. "Come with me." I nodded and let him lead me by the hand. He brought me outside, into a beautiful garden. The moonlight shone into the small pond. There were golden chain trees surrounding it. When I looked down into the pond, I saw fish in shimmering colours. We sat down on a picturesque white bench under the trees. Our hands were intertwined. I rested my head against his shoulder.

"We sneaked out from a party to hang out our first semester of high school too," Wille said. There was some kind of nostalgia in his voice. I remembered that night as if it was yesterday. We were hiding from August and the other third years. And Wille sang a song I had been singing with the choir earlier that week. He had been a little bit drunk. Hellishly pretty, just like he was right now.

"I remember that," I said. "You totally butchered It takes a fool to remain sane that night." Wille and I both laughed.

"I did," he replied. "You asked me if I enjoyed going to Hillerska that night. And I only told you yes because I would be able to see you everyday." I smiled. I had not loved Hillerska either. Not at the beginning. I only went to make sure Sara would be fine. I did not want her to stay behind another year, so I had transferred with her. None of us had loved Hillerska at first, but we had found love in each other.

"And now we are here," I said. "And you are still stuck with me." Wile grinned.

"And I would not want it any other way," he replied. He leaned in to kiss me. His lips tasted good against mine. I felt his hands on the back of my suit jacket. My own hands were in his hair.

"Me neither," I said. "I would not want it any other way." I laid down on the white bench and pulled Wille over me. I wanted this to be forever. That we would be us into infinity. Our lips found each other again. Like magnets that could not resist each other.

"I love you," I said between the kisses.

"I love you too," he replied. His lips found my neck and he started kissing me. I opened my eyes and looked up at the night sky. All the thousands of millions of stars above us. It was like it had been planned in the stars that we were supposed to be. That it was our destiny to be together. And I could not be more thankful. Happier.

"Wille! Simon!" I heard a voice from the entrance. It was Erik's voice. "We are cutting the cake now. I understand if you rather make out, but people might wonder where my best man is." He had a fair point, I thought. People might wonder where we had taken off if we were not there when Erik and Hanna cut the cake.

"We are coming," I replied. I heard Hanna and Erik laugh when they saw us appear behind the bench. We checked that both of us looked alright before stepping in to the party. The cameras had left a while ago, but we still did not want everyone to know what we had done out there. A big wedding cake had been brought out. Erik and Hanna cut the cake together. They put some cream on each other's noses and then they shared the first piece of the wedding cake, per tradition. It was beautiful to see them together. Their big smiles. Their happiness. It was everything I wished for my boyfriend's brother. He chose to be happy, in an environment that was so limiting. An environment so limiting that Wille suffocated in it. At last he had left. I knew he wished that Erik could too.  

Author's note

It has been a while! I have had a lot to do recently, so that is why I have not updated this for over a month. I hope you enjoy. Happy Easter.

A.A.