xviii. we've got a new host

AFTER THE DAY THEY HAD, the girls slept in for once. Or.. they were trying to. Daisy slept on the very edge of the bed with Max behind her, El on the other side of Max. 

The girl stirred hearing a walkie talkie go off, Daisy groaned and tried to ignore it. Max reached over Daisy and picked up the walkie talkie.

"Shut... up." Max groaned into the speaker, and shut the talkie off. The girls tried to go back to sleep, but the phone rang seconds later, waking them all up. 

"Ugh!" Daisy groaned, "They must have a death wish!" 

Daisy stood and raced to shut the phone up.

"We're sleeping! Shut up!" Daisy exclaimed and went to put the phone down. 

"This is Mike. Do not hang up. Something happened, something bad. Our very lives can be at stake."

"The hell Mike?" Daisy brought the phone back up to her ear.

"Just come over to my house. We'll explain everything." Mike quickly explained, leaving Daisy baffled. 

"What?" 

"Hurry." Was all Daisy heard before Mike presumably hung up the phone.

"What did he say?" El asked. 

Daisy turned to the girls and sighed. 

The trio changed into their clothes for the day. Daisy put on her white t-shirt with flowers on it, and her floral skirt to match, she didn't know what the boys were getting up to but was annoyed they interrupted their sleep. 

They arrived at Mike's house, and made their way into the basement where Will explained what was going on. The group sat around Will, Daisy and Jude sitting next to each other, Daisy rested her head on Jude's shoulder. 

"I didn't think it was anything at first. I mean, I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at Day of the Dead." Will explained. 

"Power went out that night, too." Mike added on.

"And then I felt it again at the field near the Nelson farm the next day. Then again yesterday outside Castle Byers." Will remembered. 

"What does it feel like?" Max asked.

"It's almost like... You know when you drop on a roller coaster?"

"Sure."

"Yeah."

"Mhm."

"No."

"It's like... everything inside your body is just sinking all at once, but... this is worse." Will trailed off. "Your body... it goes cold and... and you can't breathe. I've felt it before, whenever he was close."