xxi. dying on the fourth of july?

"HE SAID HE WAS building something. That it was all for me." El informed the group, who were all scattered around her. 

"Building something... Is he talking about the flayed?" Max looked around, looking for an answer. 

"He must be."

"So, he's building an army, just like we thought." Lucas paced. 

"Yeah, but he's not building this army to spread." Mike said. 

"He's building it to stop Eleven." 

"Last year, El closed the gate on him. I have a feeling that really pissed him off." Mike determined. 

"Like, royally." 

"And the Mind Flayer now knows that she's the only thing that can stop him. But if she's out of the way..." Mike continued.

"Game over." Lucas concluded.

"He also said he was gonna kill all of you." 

"Yeah, well, that's nice." Max sarcastically said. 

"Dying on the fourth of July? Really?" Jude sighed, and threw his head back on the couch. 

It was silent again, with the faint sound of the fireworks, but something wasn't right about the fireworks. 

"Do you guys hear that?" Nancy asked, breaking the silence.

"It's just the fireworks." Jonathan reassured. 

"Billy... When he told you this, it was here, in this room?" Nancy turned.

El nodded. They heard thudding noises all around them.

"He knows we're here." 

The group all ran outside to inspect the loud noises they were hearing. They stood and looked in the distance, and they saw the monster from the hospital but way bigger, it was coming right for them. 

The party ran to find things to protect the cabin, Nancy and Jonathan found weapons while the other boarded the windows and grabbed items they could use to protect themselves. 

"Hey, get away from the windows." Nancy instructed, and pulled Hopper's gun up.

Everyone was in a circle, waiting. The cabin was quiet, but the lights began flickering and the appliances began shaking. Everyone began shakily breathing.

"It's close." Will announced. Dust fell from the ceiling, and leaves rustling was heard. 

The party heard branches snapping, and one of the mugs fell from its holder and shattered. 

"Where'd it go?" Max asked. 

It was quiet, all that was heard was everyone's shuddered and scared breathes, as they waiting for the inevitable.