xx. fourth of july

THE PARTY WALKED INTO the hospital to see Mrs. Driscoll. The hospital had a two person per visit rule, but they hoped the receptionist wouldn't noticed them walking by.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Excuse me! Where do you think you're going?" The reception lady shouted at them.

"Oh, um... I was just going to visit my grandma again. And... And this... this is my family." At the word family, Daisy and Jude dropped their hands that were linked. The lady eyed Lucas weirdly.

"Extended." Lucas smiled.

"I don't care who they are. You know the rules. Two visitors at a time." The lady scolded.

"Yeah, but.."

"Two!" The lady sat back down and picked the phone up again. "Girl, this child has lost her mind. She brought a whole zoo in here."

Nancy and Jonathan went up first, leaving the teens alone.

Mike, Jude, and Lucas were trying to get the vending machine to work, and the others were scattered about the waiting room, Daisy sitting in a chair twirling her hair.

"Here, Dais'" Jude's voice rang out, Daisy looked up to see Jude holding out a Reese's pack for her.

Daisy smiled. "I haven't heard that nickname in a while." She took the candy from his hand and he sat in the chair beside her.

Jude chuckled. "You missed me."

"Be serious.. It's been a long week. My mom is probably going batshit crazy, wondering where my brother is." Daisy laughed.

"He's on his own adventure, I guess?"

Daisy slapped Jude's arm as she noticed Mike and El finally talking again. The two giggled at their two friends who had no clue what they were doing.

Daisy and Jude continued talking and catching up on their days apart. All until the lights above them flickered, which made a pit grow in their stomachs that they knew all too well.

Will walked forward staring at the lights, and the rest joined him, looking at the lights. Will's shaky hand reached for the back of his neck.

"He's here."

The party ran past the receptionist and ignored her shouting. They ran upstairs, and found the room Nancy was trapped in. Eleven used her powers to throw the door aside, and they all saw a monster towering over Nancy.

"Jesus."

"What the f-" Max was cut off by a roar from the creature.

The thing was coming towards the party, but before it could reach them El used her powers the fling the creature across the room, smashing the walls and ceiling. She threw it on the floor, and as it stood on it's many legs, just to fling it out of the window, glass shattering on Nancy.