˗ˏˋ༻ʚ20ɞ༺ˎˊ˗

⚠ Warning ⚠ insensitive remarks ahead ⚠

˗ˏˋ༻ʚ♡︎ɞ༺ˎˊ˗

I dreaded waiting behind after school and being caught by Krystian the instant I walked beyond the front gate. The gateman's expression was like a telepathic homage to my own burial. I was in a pretty enormous soup, and I knew it. It was about nine o'clock at night, and I wasn't sure how my sister would respond. She wasn't sitting on the balcony like she had before, so I prayed to God that she hadn't returned from work. My prayer was cut short as I came through the front door and into the living room.

Debby quickly stood up when she saw me. She was dressed in the same clothes she had worn before leaving the house for work, implying she hadn't showered.

"Where are you coming from?!" She ordered in a stern voice. Trust turned, probably to see my reaction as Debby yelled at me.

"Sister I—"

"I told you, didn't I?" I was about to find an excuse when Trust interrupted me. "Give them a chance, and they will take chances. You're spoiling this girl too much."

As his words sank into my veins, my palms tightened into fists. Why was he contributing to this conversation? I turned to Debby in the hopes of getting past her. "Sister, I can explain."

"Then explain," Debby said, stretching her right hand and pointing to the wall clock in the living room. "Because I don't see why a girl your age would come home from school at nine o'clock at night. What has come over you, Delphine?"

I fell quiet. What was I to say to her? I chose to stay behind after school because I wanted to break into the class teacher's office, but I got caught by my classmate before I could even make any attempt to succeed with my plan. I couldn't tell her that.

"I'll tell you, love," Trust said, I guess he wasn't done 'contributing'. "She's a hormonal sixteen-year-old girl that is trying to open her legs for a hormonal sixteen-year-old boy, or boys in her age bracket."

"Sister!"

"Is he lying?" I couldn't believe my sister was already siding with her boyfriend again. "What can explain this situation? Yesterday was the excuse for following a friend to the hospital. What's today's excuse? What will be tomorrow's excuse?"

I closed my eyes, trying desperately to keep the tears from sliding down my cheeks, but the action pushed the tears down both cheeks faster than I had anticipated. "I'm not opening my legs for anyone, sister. I'm too young for that. I swear, sister Debby, I'm not interested in any boy my age."

"So you have an interest in older boys then? Men abi?" Trust slid in, trapping me with his words. I focused my concentration on Debby, praying she'd see my point of view.

"Sister—"

"Go to your room." Debby gave her orders while pointing at the stairs. "Now!"

"I can't believe you, sister." I burst into tears, my heart hurting. "You listen to Trust way more than you listen to me."

"He's not your mate," I bit my lower lips, trying to control myself, but I couldn't do that.

"I'm surprised at how Danielle could live in such a toxic environment," I sniffed, attempting to suppress my running nose. "I hate you, sis Debby."

"Delphine—"

"I do." I wiped my tears again to clear my vision before turning to Trust, "And I hate you even more."

I turned and stormed up the stairs, blocking out Debby's calls until I reached my room and slammed the door shut. I climbed into my bed seconds after entering my room and buried my face in my pillow, crying my eyes out.