˗ˏˋ༻ʚ23ɞ༺ˎˊ˗

˗ˏˋ༻ʚDelphine's POVɞ༺ˎˊ˗

"Did you know that a turtle's sex is determined by the temperature of the sand when the eggs hatch?" 

"No, I did not." 

It was a calm morning. The class was not full because it was still too early, and the majority of my classmates had not arrived. I sat silently at my desk, still thinking about what I had witnessed on Friday while waiting for the alarm to signal the start of the assembly period.

"Okay," Kim said, flipping to the second page of the book she was holding. "Did you know the saying 'it's raining cats and dogs', comes from the Middle Ages?" I glanced at Kim. "Back then, the roofs of the house were made of straws. The straws were what made the animals get warm."

"I don't get you. Straws? As in the roof?" Ever since I'd arrived at school, Kim had been bombarding me with trivia facts. I wasn't interested. I was bored out of my mind. But this? This somehow diverted my thoughts from what I saw on Friday. "How did the animals get on the roof?" 

"Hold on," She lifted her index finger and quickly flipped to a different page. "Here it is. It says there was always a woodpile that led up the roofs, making it easier for pets to get on to where the heat was rising, which was on the roof made of straws. The straw kept them warm. But when it rained, the straw became slippery, causing the pets to fall off the roof."

"So when the pets fell off the roof, it felt like it was raining cats and dogs?" 

"Exactly!" Kim snapped her finger, grinning from ear to ear. The door opened, and I was expecting to see the Elites, but I was disappointed to see it was Romeo. 

His original plan was obviously to go to his seat at the back, but ever since he walked through the door, his gaze was on a smiling Kim, who was oblivious to his presence. 

"What's up with her?" Romeo made his way to my desk and sat on it while nudging his head towards Kim. 

"She's trying to have a second option." Romeo threw me a confused glance. "If the Debate club doesn't do well by the end of next week, the school will have to dissolve it. Kim's working on Trivia Facts because she feels the school will open a Trivia Club next."

"All thanks to him," Kim glared at Romeo. 

Romeo lifted a brow, trying to control a smile. "What did I do?" 

"Don't play smart," Kim spat angrily. "You planted the idea in my head. You said the group might open a Trivia club next because it's beneficial."

"Oh . . ." Romeo nodded slowly as if recalling. "I can see that happening. It's not boring like the debate club."

"The debate club is not boring!" Romeo wasn't hiding his smile this time. "You just haven't seen the beauty of it!"

I placed a hand on Kim's shoulder, trying to calm her down. She lowered her gaze to the floor and sighed. "I can't believe I'm pulling out the flyers on the notice board on my birthday."

I looked at Romeo, then back at Kim. "Next week's Friday is your birthday?" 

Kim closed her eyes and nodded. I pressed my lips together and looked at Romeo for help, but he wasn't looking my way. 

"Happy birthday in advance, Juliet." Romeo shrugged and climbed down from my desk before moving to the back of the class. His wishes took Kim by surprise, but I guessed the thought of the school dissolving the debate club was greater than Romeo's wishes. 

The entrance to the classroom opened, and the Elites walked in, laughing. Well, everyone except Krystian. What got his pants all twisted up? I turned to a depressed Kim, debating whether to leave her in her current state of mind. I believed she would survive. It was only a debate club. A solution could likely pop up before the end of next week.