Chapter 1: No matter what I do, I will die at twenty

"RISHE IRMGARD WEITZNER! You are a vile woman! A truly malicious creature unworthy of the crown prince! As of this instant, our engagement is off!"

"As you wish, Your Highness."

"…Huh?"

The prince's declaration echoed throughout the ballroom. Rishe, the duke's daughter, bowed in response, her coral-toned hair swaying gracefully. The assembled guests found themselves captivated by her dignified beauty. Despite having just witnessed a broken engagement, they couldn't bring themselves to pity her.

Slowly, Rishe lifted her head and fixed the prince with a pale-emerald gaze. It caught him off guard, but he quickly recovered.

"Didn't you hear what I just said?! I'm calling off our engagement! Doesn't that trouble you?"

"Not really."

Rishe already knew what happened next: false accusations, exile, and her family severing all ties and leaving her to survive on her own. She turned from the prince. There was no point wasting any time.

This is my seventh loop, after all.

Rishe had done this all before.

The next few hours will be busy. I must hurry and retrieve my things before I'm barred from the family estate. I don't want this to be one of the times I'm too slow and I have to start my new life with nothing.

"Rishe, halt and hear me! I have spent the past week perfecting my recitation of your crimes!"

I should take more than dresses this time—there's plenty of things I could use out in the world. What trade should I take up? In my first life, I was a merchant.

In my second, an apothecary. I've got a few more I want to try out… Augh! If time's just going to keep resetting, I wish I could start at an earlier point. I need more time to prepare!

"Wait! Rishe!"

The crown prince was on the verge of tears, and the spectators struggled to suppress their snickers.

A thought occurred to Rishe, and she stopped. She then turned, her eyes gleaming beneath long lashes as she stared down her ex-fiancé. "Ah, Your Highness, I almost forgot."

"Yes, tell me!" the prince fumed. "Let me guess, you are hurt beyond measure and yet love me still…correct?"

As if. Rishe was grateful to be granted her freedom. In fact, she was smiling as she said, "I hope you and Lady Mary are happy together."

"What?!"

"May we both lead fulfilling lives. Farewell!" Rishe lifted the skirts of her evening gown and turned on her heel, departing as briskly as she could.

"How do you know about Mary? I haven't told you I love her!" The prince was shouting something behind her, but she paid him no mind. She had things to do.

During her first loop, the prince's accusations had shocked her to the core and she—foolishly so—had attempted to defend herself. Now she knew better than to expect the prince to behave reasonably.

How will life unfold this time? I'm excited to find out! Rishe fixed her mind on the future.

This is my seventh "do-over". I've led happy and carefree lives before, but this time—this time, I swear I'll live a long happy and carefree life!

In other words, she needed to avoid getting killed. At any cost.

**************************************

In the first loop, with her engagement broken and her reputation in tatters, Rishe roamed with nothing but the clothes on her back. Fortuitously, she met a merchant caravan willing to buy her jewelry. Finding them a good-natured band, she hitched a ride to a neighboring country.