Epilogue: Sometimes I think you're the strangest woman I've ever met

When Rishe opened her eyes, she found herself in a patch of sunlight.

To be more precise, she was in a bed bathed in light. Enveloped in silky sheets on a soft mattress, she felt as though she were in a dream. Distantly, she heard the comforting scratch of a pen. She listened to it, feeling sleepy again.

Wait, a pen?

Eventually, the strangeness hit her, and she lifted herself up. Arnold sat working at the desk.

Huh?

Arnold stilled his pen and gave her an amused smile.

"Oh? Finally awake?"

"P-Prince Arnold?!"

Rishe sat up with a bounce, hands planted behind her on the bed as she looked around wildly.

"You don't have to get up. Feel free to sleep a bit longer. You've only slept for half a day."

"Half a day? What do you mean?"

This was her room in the detached palace, no doubt about it. To keep her from floundering, Arnold explained, "You passed out on the rooftop of that building. I brought you here in Theodore's carriage, and I couldn't just leave you alone after all that. Your maids didn't know what happened; they wouldn't have known how to take care of you."

"W-wait, don't tell me you've been here the whole time? Have you slept any yourself?"

"I would have been awake anyway. I had work to finish."

"I'm so sorry I fainted!"

Rishe bowed as well as she could from a sitting position. She realized as she did that she was wearing a nightgown instead of her torn dress.

Wait, why am I wearing this? Who changed my clothes?

"Don't worry. I had that maid come in. Elsie, I think her name was?"

Rishe sighed in relief, not even annoyed that he'd done his usual mind reading. She watched as Arnold stood up and came over to the bed.

"How are you feeling?" He asked gently.

Having him and his handsome face so close made her feel self-conscious. "I'm fine now. Sorry to be a bother."

"I don't care as long as you recover."

Arnold held out a letter to her. Rishe opened it to find familiar handwriting—it must have been from Theodore.

Dear Sister,

I'd like to apologize for the terrible things I did. There are too many to count, but I'll do my best. I swear that someday I will repay my debt to you, and I'll lend you the aid of the people of the slums. If you can give the people of the undercity a place to belong, then you can count on us whenever you need us. You better be grateful.

Rishe smiled wryly. She appreciated the offer, but she'd prefer to never be in a position to require aid.

P.S. Thank you.

Rishe traced the letters with her fingertip. "You and Prince Theodore had a talk, didn't you?"

Arnold frowned. "What makes you say that?"

"If you hadn't, you wouldn't be the one handing me this letter."

Arnold said nothing, but his lack of denial made her sure she was right. The letter eased her mind, at least for now. Perhaps this was a small change in this life from the last six, shrinking the distance between the two brothers. She couldn't prevent the happy grin from spreading over her face.