Chapter 17: Everyone works as hard as they can

I'm so glad I managed to finish washing the sheets in time!

Standing before the maids with Arnold's attendant Oliver at her side, Rishe was panicking on the inside. She'd had so much to do this morning that she'd put off the laundry to the last minute. She took deep, controlled breaths, praying no one would notice that she'd raced here at a dead sprint.

Oliver was none the wiser as he spoke to the assembled girls. Rishe took the opportunity to look them over. She locked eyes with Elsie, who was gaping at her. It was a nice change—usually her face was as blank as a rock wall.

I'm sorry for the deception. I figured blending in would give me the best picture of your working conditions.

The new maids wore similarly shocked expressions, while others watched her with delight. Meanwhile, the veterans, including Diana, had all gone pale. They trembled, stunned into silence. One seemed locked in a terrifying trance, while another looked on the verge of tears. All of them had spoken to Rishe with derision. As the ringleader, Diana was covering her mouth with both hands, like she was holding in a scream.

Oliver had finished his introduction. "Your Highness, if you would?"

Rishe stepped forward. "First, I must apologize to you for what has transpired prior to this meeting. My deception, that is. However, it has granted me insight into how each one of you works."

Oliver's face creased in confusion. The newcomer maids began to panic, whispering among themselves.

"Doesn't this mean that she helped us out with the laundry?"

"We're going to be fired!"

"If I lose my position, my brother will have to quit school!"

Noticing the commotion, Oliver glanced at Rishe. "Your Highness, two-thirds of these maids are newly recruited from the city. Since the majority of the castle maids were elderly, His Highness assumed you would prefer maids closer in age to yourself."

Rishe was startled. She had found it odd that most of her potential servants were new hires, but she hadn't expected this to be the reason.

"While the prince has entrusted the selection of your maids to you," Oliver went on. "Hiring someone with no experience will not do. Despite Prince Arnold's views, I urge you to reject the newcomers."

"Oliver."

"I have a list of their names here. Elsie—"

"Elsie, Nichole, Hilde, Marguerite, Rosa." Rishe began listing the names of the newly recruited maids. She'd made a point to memorize them in the washhouse. "Elke, Amelia, and—"

Oliver looked at her wildly. "You know them all?! Even though they've never served you in the past?"

"Yes, of course I do. Servants are essential to the maintenance of our lifestyle, why wouldn't I get to know them?" Rishe listed the remaining names for good measure. "All twenty of you, listen to me."

The new maids stiffened. Diana and the other maids whose names hadn't been called were getting their wind back, wearing increasingly triumphant looks.

Rishe said, "The twenty names I just called will be my maids."

Time seemed to stand still a moment, and then Oliver broke in with an astonished, "B-but, my lady! They are all inexperienced—"

"Yes. And my palace will be the perfect place to learn."

The new recruits were completely speechless, unsure of exactly what was happening.

Rishe smiled at Elsie. "I hope you'll serve me well, Elsie."