Chapter 33: My future sister-in-law is such a busy bee

Rishe was pleased by how things ended, and she stayed behind in the parlor after Tully and his staff left, thinking.

I've secured a route for stockpiling goods. I sure am glad I managed to develop a prototype in time. Also, my herb garden is thriving, and the maids are progressing in their studies. It's time to begin the next steps.

Suddenly, she felt a throbbing pain in her forehead.

The medicine's worn off, I see.

Taking care of the field, teaching the maids, making ingredients, working on developing the product—she didn't have nearly enough hours in the day, and she'd been pushing herself too hard. She'd spent all the previous night preparing for today's negotiation, forgoing sleep, stretching her body to its limit.

I don't have the endurance built up for this lifestyle.

She performed a self-examination, making sure she didn't have a cold she could spread, and concluded it was probably just exhaustion. She'd recover with rest.

But there's one last thing I need to finish up, she thought as her guards returned from escorting Tully out. "We apologize for keeping you waiting, my lady. We shall escort you back to your chambers now."

Rishe smiled, trying to mask her fatigue. "Thank you."

"My lady? Are you well?"

Rishe blinked. Her vision wavered. With her medicine wearing off, she suddenly found herself unable to rise from her chair. "Don't fret. Just…would someone please summon Elsie for me?"

Sensing that something was wrong, a guard made haste to do her bidding.

**************************************

"This way, sir!" Rishe's guard guided Oliver, the crown prince's attendant, to the parlor.

"How is her condition?"

"She looked pale, as if just sitting up was difficult for her. My partner Kamil is looking after her right now."

"Who else knows of this?" Oliver demanded.

"Lady Rishe's maid, at her request. No one else."

"Good."

Arnold's standing orders were that any unforeseen circumstances involving Rishe should be dealt with discreetly, with as few people involved as possible, to avoid rumors spreading throughout the imperial palace.

Especially with Prince Theodore sticking his nose in, Oliver thought. What a mess.

They needed to move Rishe stealthily and summon a trusted doctor. Oliver was working out the logistics of this as they arrived in the parlor.

"Lady Rishe, how are—" Oliver's voice died in his throat. The guard's eyes went wide as he looked into the room.

The parlor was empty. Kamil, Elsie, and the unconscious Rishe were gone.

"Sir, what do we do, what do we—"

Oliver put a placating hand on the guard's arm. "I will report to His Highness at once. Do nothing until we know his orders."

**************************************

That evening, Prince Theodore strolled leisurely through the capital. He had snuck out of the castle grounds, as was his habit, with only a single guard. He wore a robe with a low hood and, at a glance, would never have been mistaken for royalty. The disguise was probably overkill, as only the emperor ever appeared in public. Very few citizens would know the young prince. He only needed to hide his face to slip in and out of the palace grounds.