Chapter 20: Such a lovely woman as their future empress

Leaving her baffled maid behind, Rishe went to meet the Aria Trading Company. Escorted by two guards, she made her way to the main palace. Her own villa was not yet equipped with a suitable receiving room for guests.

The footman bowed her into the parlor, allowing the guards to step inside first to ensure the room was secure.

A handsome, brown-skinned man stood waiting for her. "Your Highness, I am Kaine Tully, chairman of the Aria Trading Company." He smiled amiably and bowed.

"May I congratulate you on your upcoming wedding?"

Tully had combed back his famously unkempt hair and shaved far closer than she'd ever seen him bother. He also did not appear to be hungover, which made for an equally large change.

"Rishe Irmgard Weitzner. I appreciate you taking the time; I imagine it was a journey of some distance. Please, sit."

He thanked her and sat. Rishe lowered herself into her own chair with great dignity. She felt him gauging her, watching her with the dark, hooded eyes that tavern girls across the continent swooned over.

It feels like he can see through me with a single glance. And I wouldn't expect anything less.

Not that he was ogling; his gaze was perfectly correct. But he'd been watching her since she came in.

"I say, this is a lovely time of year, isn't it?" Tully began. "I believe your wedding is planned for halfway through the eighth month, is that right? A summer bride. How marvelous!" Tully grinned.

"The citizens of Galkhein must be overjoyed to have such a lovely woman as their future empress."

"You flatter me." Rishe smiled at the empty compliments, mind fixed on the past.

"Mwa ha ha! I knew he wouldn't know a fake sapphire when he saw one. Idiot! We took bets on whether you could dupe that intermediary, and I had my money on you, Rishe. Thanks for helping me fleece my birdbrained staff."

"Rishe! Here's your final examination. We took a loss of five million in gold due to negligence. Not yours, someone else's, but you are the one who's going to make it back. Oh, and by the way, you've got one week, so get cracking."

"Please, Rishe, I'm begging you! Tell Aria that woman I had over last night was just a friend!"

She had a faraway look in her eyes. That was fine. Let Tully think she was dreaming of her bright future.

"The white of a wedding dress will complement your features, if I might be so bold. Perhaps a gown of layered silk?" With that, Tully smoothly shifted from small talk to business. Rishe was relieved to have passed his assessment.

"That sounds superb, Mr. Tully. As I'm sure you've been told, I wish to engage the Aria Trading Company to assist me in assembling everything we will need for the ceremony. I've heard great things about you."

"Have you? How kind."

"To cut to the chase, have you brought anything to show me today? I'd love to see my options."

The messenger had been instructed to tell them Rishe was considering their company for everything. She imagined Tully had brought a whole legion of carts weighed down with fripperies to sell her.

If I make this deal, we'll have an established connection. I just need to close this.

"Unfortunately, I cannot sell to you, my lady."

At this, Rishe froze. Tully shrugged, his smile still in place. "Or rather, I will not sell to you."

"What? Why?"

The Aria Trading Company was essential for her future plans.

She needed them.

Over the next few years, Tully would expand his personal connections and trade routes. He would be a main supplier of future inventions. His company would grow to a global scale. Without them, Rishe's easy link to the levers of power in every nation evaporated.

Tully continued to smile at her blandly, "My lady, quite frankly, your insistence doesn't match my offerings."

"My insistence?"

"You appear ready to stake your life on this deal. Am I wrong?"

Rishe nearly lost her composure then. With a huge effort, she willed her expression into one of polite confusion. His deep, long-lashed eyes were openly searching her now. It seemed they were past pretense.

"Let's speak plainly, my lady," Tully said. "We're discussing wedding preparations. I know that for a crown princess, your wedding will be your crowning jewel. However…"

His eyes narrowed. "You have the look of a woman staring down death. Whatever you're after, it isn't a flawless marriage ceremony or a well-heeled soirée. And I don't like complications."

With a gasp, Rishe remembered something Tully had said to her a long time ago: "Become an easy choice for the customer. Offer them goods and value they won't find anywhere else. And once you're established, you pick the customers."

Tully already had reliable trade. He wouldn't risk a deal with an unknown entity who might incur losses down the line, no matter how high-ranking they were. Rishe had been thoroughly screened out of Tully's customer base.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity." Rishe took care not to betray any dismay. "I'm sorry if I appeared overeager. I don't have any event-planning experience."

Tully let out a good-natured laugh. "You have nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'll find the perfect business partner. Unfortunately, my company will not be it." Tully stood up and executed a bow so elegant she knew it was meant to mock her.

"It was an honor to be invited to speak with you. Now, if you'd please excuse me."

"Mr. Tully—"

"Galkhein is a lovely country." Tully cut her off roundly. "I believe we may spend a few days here to relax and take in the sights. One of your attendants even steered us to a suitable inn."

"Please, wait. Let us discuss things a bit—"
"Farewell, my lovely future majesty."

Tully left before Rishe could mount a protest.

**************************************