Chapter 31: My product will make the perfect gift

On the day of Rishe's deadline, Tully and four other managers assembled in the main palace's parlor. All of them were people she remembered fondly from her previous lives. She sat across from them, outlining her business idea.

"Women use this product to decorate their nails." Rishe gestured to the seven maids arrayed behind her. They each wore different colors of polish—from pink to bright blue to light green, all glossy and vibrant.

"I have written down a brief summary of Galkhein's economic situation. Many common families have money to spend, but beauty products are very dear. Gowns and jewels are out of their reach, but my polish won't be."

She presented the document to Tully. The names of the ingredients were redacted, but she'd included their individual costs and the retail price for the finished products. Pulling out another document, she said, "This is a transcript of visitors to the city. As you can see, many are men in the prime of their lives."

Tully squinted down at the paper. "Right you are. And I presume these fellows have homes and families to return to."

"My product will make the perfect gift," Rishe assured him. "The bottles are small and compact."

That meant they would be easy to distribute abroad as well. Perfect for a company like Aria, which made most of its sales in storefronts.

"So, what do you think, Mr. Tully?"

Tully didn't take his eyes off Rishe as he spoke to his managers. "Chester, Melvin, Neal, Russel. What are your thoughts?"

In turn, each offered his opinion.

"I think it's sound good. I don't know if I trust her cost analysis, but I foresee no problems with mass production."

"A bottle would sell for about two thousand gold? That'd be quite the profit."

"She must be using flowers for the dyes. If they're rare or regional, then we'll need to add an import tax for other countries."

"Tch. Uncouth, the lot of you." Tully pressed his brow and shrugged in exasperation. "Is it only about cost and profits to you?"

"Th-then what do you think, sir?"

"Do I have to spell it out? We need to go to the consumer."

Tully turned his customer-service smile on the girls arrayed behind Rishe. "My dears, what are your opinions on your nails?"

"Oh, um…"

Tully had a devilish smile, and as he turned it on her maids, Rishe solemnly prayed that all of them could see through it—and every other good-for-nothing  man who'd try the same, for that matter.

The girls hesitated, a bit flushed, then spoke cautiously. "We have to look at our hands a lot while we work. It helps my morale, being able to look down and see such pretty nails."

"I feel like they're helping me do a better job." Another maid giggled. "I know that's silly, but…"

"It's hard to paint both hands on our own, so we help each other. It's fun! We were even talking about how we'd like to try our hand at doing little designs when we get a bit better at it."

Elsie, ever shy, added her opinion last. "I love it. It makes me so happy." Her nails were a coral-red from the gerberas. When Rishe had asked which shade she wanted, Elsie didn't even hesitate in answering, "The same as your hair, my lady."

"See, what did I tell you?" Tully leaned back in his chair. "The looks on their faces alone tell me this product will be a hit, production costs be damned."