Chapter 32: I shouldn't be thinking as a merchant but as a crown princess

At first, Rishe had looked at her deal from the point of view of a merchant. She'd operated from the standpoint that her task was to design a product with a high profit yield. However, once she learned of the policy Arnold had put into place, she'd had doubts about her plan.

After hearing Elsie's feelings, she'd realized how thoughtless she had been.

I shouldn't be thinking as a merchant but as a crown princess.

Profits and prosperity came from a country's people. And to prosper, to thrive, people needed more than just food and shelter. They had to live without throwing away their dreams and aspirations. They needed hope.

"I doubt this is ideal for you," Rishe said. "But it's all I can offer at this time."

"Actually, I think this is a pretty good plan. You're excellent at picking up on my own thoughts and beliefs. I've rather enjoyed this."

Tully's look of glazed boredom had become one of delight. "However, Miss Rishe, you've still got much to learn."

She recognized that smile. It was how he'd look at her back in her first life whenever she made a mistake.

"Remember what I told you before? You conduct yourself too earnestly—you're transparent. Someone unscrupulous could take advantage of that."

"I…appreciate the warning," Rishe said.

"I haven't the faintest idea why, but clearly you want me and my company. And I'm planning on using you to the full extent of my ability."

Tully's people gave him more exasperated looks. "C'mon, Boss. This is the crown princess you're talking to here. Quit it."

Tully lips curled, sly and savoring. "So, what will you do? I can poke a hundred holes in this deal you're offering me. I bet you'd come up with something even better if I reject it."

Rishe closed her eyes for a breath.

"Oh? And I suppose you won't allow me to take my business elsewhere."

"See? You do understand me! Even though we've only spoken a few times."

"I wanted to avoid this, but you've left me little choice." Rishe turned over her final document.

"What have you got for me this—" Tully's eyes went wide and his back straightened. "What the…?"

"What is it, Boss?"

Shock was written all over his face. His aloof affectation evaporated, panic threading his voice. "Miss Rishe, how the hell do you know about this?!"

"Apologies. I admit I took the liberty of investigating you in my own way." The truth was that Rishe had seen it with her very own eyes, but she couldn't say that.

"As I have written here, I am currently in the process of cultivating some rare herbs. Together, they can be used to make a medicine that hails from the country of Renhua to the east."

The knights who accompanied Rishe to her work in the garden gave her wondering looks. Rishe nodded gravely. "Mr. Tully, do you recognize the symptoms of this disease?"

"This is what Aria is…" Tully trailed off.

Rishe knew Aria Tully very well. She was Kaine Tully's only living family member. Right about now, she would be a bright and happy ten-year-old girl. Her character was slightly more scrupulous than her older brother's, but she was no less curious. Fitting, for the namesake of the trading company. Tully loved her dearly, and that was why he was gathering information from every corner of the world.

"Exactly. This medicine will cure your sister's disease."

Aria had struggled with respiratory infections since she was very young. Rishe had seen it happen in her previous lives. Her older brother traveled the world, peddling his wares as he searched for a way to cure her.