Chapter 12: I'll protect you no matter what

The first thing Rishe said to Arnold that night was, "Your Highness, I have a request."

Her gown rustled as she leaned in close. "I would like some herb seed and a corner of the gardens. I made a list. I hope we can discuss this in more detail later."

Arnold was silent a moment. "Rishe."

"What? Didn't you tell me to let you know if there was anything I wanted?"

Rishe looked at him quizzically, and Arnold sighed.

She'd heard that he'd finished his mountain of work and even managed to sleep for a while. He was dressed in his usual military black, trimmed with a red mantle and black gloves.

Arnold shook his head. "That's not what I mean. I'm guessing that Oliver didn't tell you the reason for this party? It's merely for appearance's sake. I need to look like I'm searching for a bride within our borders as well. There's no reason for you to attend."

It made sense. The crown prince—the greatest catch in the kingdom—marrying a foreigner without even the slightest nod to propriety would invite unwanted discontent from the nobility.

"However, we're betrothed," Arnold said. "This whole evening is merely a formality. And with news that you're my 'hostage' going around, you'll be an object of curiosity. I don't want to put you through that."

"Well, I already went to the trouble of getting ready." Rishe plucked at her soft blue dress, draped in fluttering layers around her like a flower bud. She'd braided her hair, decorating it with accessories. Her makeup was light, her shoes polished to a mirror shine. Her only jewelry was a pair of pearl earrings.

"Rishe…"

"Your Highness, the court may consider my status as a captive princess shameful in the extreme, but I don't." She'd chosen this course, after all.

Arnold was again watching her with a mixture of wonder and confusion.

"So don't worry," She said, extending her hand. "Feel free to show off your fiancée."

Arnold relented, his dashing smile creeping out once again. "Very well. I should take advantage of this opportunity to touch my betrothed."

"We're wearing gloves."

Arnold took Rishe's hand.

**************************************

A throng of guests was gathered in the ballroom as a group of musicians performed on a platform. Women in gowns stood clustered, while gentlemen in military attire grouped together. A mere glance was enough to tell their clothes were of the highest quality. They mingled happily, making small talk with glasses in hand.

Rishe let her hand rest on Arnold's arm as she paused at the threshold to take it all in. "This is a bigger event than I was expecting."

"Is it? I'd say it's a rather small gathering, actually."

"Maybe for a military powerhouse," Rishe muttered.

Yet another reminder of Galkhein's wealth took her off guard. Arnold just looked bored.

"The size doesn't matter," he said. "In the end, they're only here for gossip. Look, here they come."

In the blink of an eye, they were surrounded by guests.

"Prince Arnold, thank you for gracing us with an invitation," said one man. "Such a pleasure."

"The pleasure is mine, Lord Abel," Arnold drawled.

"Your Highness! We were so glad to hear of your safe return." Another guest chirped. "Please, our daughter is simply dying to be regaled with tales of your trip."