Chapter 14: Never back down from a fight

Rishe dealt with the barrage of questions as best she could, letting the crowd sweep them into the dining room, which was set up for a buffet-style meal. She made sure to greet every guest, riveting their faces into her memory.

She must have been acting peculiar, because Arnold eventually said, "Rishe, I think the wine is getting to you. Shall we get some fresh air?"

Rishe hadn't touched a single drop. In fact, she'd been caught up in so many conversations that she hadn't even had the chance to eat, but she had experience working on an empty stomach. She accepted Arnold's encouragement as the escape it was.

Just when I least expect it, he'll act the gentleman.

Maybe he'd remembered her demand for a carefree life of doing nothing.

Rishe cast a charming look across the crowd. "Thank you for your consideration, Your Highness. Forgive me." She gave a polite bow before quietly slipping away.

She didn't head straight to the balcony but rather slowly walked around the hall. There was only so much she could find out glued to Arnold's side all night.

I need information. Galkhein's political landscape was a mystery to me through all my past lives. I only know the rumors that made it abroad.

Although she knew of Arnold's eventual patricide, she had no concept of the circumstances leading up to it. She needed a better picture of the factions and power balance inside the court. The lives these people led.

I know better than to believe wartime gossip. This Arnold Hein is a lot different from what I'd heard he was like at nineteen. He's not as diabolical as the rumors led me to believe. He likes to push, but he isn't unkind.

The thought drifted across her mind, leaving her conflicted.

Well, he's not unkind now. But I still don't like not knowing his motives. And he's a bit of a jerk, to be honest.

She tried to settle her mind and just observe. Gathering intelligence was necessary to lead a long, carefree life lazing around the palace.

If I recall correctly, that's Lord Hannawald. He seems to be on good terms with Count Gayle. Duke Hudemann and Duke Teinitz are having a friendly enough conversation, yet they don't seem close.

Rishe ticked off the names of people she'd met, committing them to memory.

A wave of sweet perfume wafted over her. A pretty girl with soft blonde hair had appeared at her side.

"How do you do, Lady Rishe? I'm Cornelia Thea Toona."

Duke Toona's family was the thirty-first house she'd met tonight.

Rishe smiled graciously. "Rishe Irmgard Weitzner. A pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine." Cornelia smiled sweetly. Her eyes were big and bright, her lips full. She held a glass in each hand and offered one to Rishe.

"Wine? I see you're empty-handed."

A gaggle of other ladies nearby began giggling among themselves.

"How dare she act so haughty when she's a captive. It's time for her learn just what she is. A pawn to be played and discarded."

"She should enjoy her time on Prince Arnold's arm while she can."

"She is from a minor nation, after all."

As Rishe took note of their whispers, Cornelia gazed at her with doe eyes.

"Does my offering offend you in some way?"

If I remember correctly, House Toona holds a vast territory in southern Galkhein.

Rishe held out a hand to accept the glass. "How could it? Thank you, Lady Cornelia."

Before Rishe could touch the glass, Cornelia gave a dramatic shout. "Oh dear! My hand slipped!"

She dropped it, quite obviously on purpose.

Without thinking, Rishe grabbed her skirts and leaned back, plucking the glass out of the air with the other hand.

Cornelia let out a cry of surprise as Rishe caught the wine before any could spill. She swirled the glass and brought it to her nose to breathe in the bouquet.

Hmm… That's mashed capsicum. Where did she even get that? What a waste of perfectly good wine. And why bother spicing it enough to singe the tongue if she just planned to ruin my dress? Pick a plan, my dear.

Hiding her exasperation, Rishe smiled brightly. "I've never had a wine quite like this. What an unusual scent."

Cornelia bit her lip in frustration. Rishe beamed at her.

You've got such a pretty face, Lady Toona. Why don't you smile?

Rishe leaned in close to Cornelia. "This vintage isn't available where I'm from. I'm ever so anxious to learn more. Should I perhaps invite Prince Arnold over to enjoy a glass? Which tray did you get this from?"

"What? Oh, um…" Rishe had a policy of never backing down from a fight, but it seemed Cornelia didn't share it. "S-sorry, but I don't remember. Such a large hall, you see."

"A shame. I'll just give His Highness this one, then. I'll be sure to let him know who it's from."

"Uh, wait!" Cornelia rapidly shook her head. "I-I got that glass for you, so I think you should—you know what? Never mind! Maybe I should just take that back—oh no!"

Rishe ignored the ashen-faced Cornelia, raising the glass and swallowing down a gulp.

"I-I can't believe…"

"Such a spicy flavor, just as I imagined." Rishe smiled again to the assembled group's astonishment. "What a warm welcome. I do hope the two of us can spend more time together. Perhaps…a tea party?"

"Th-the two of us?" Cornelia stammered.

"Yes. I want to know all about House Toona."

Cornelia looked flabbergasted, but she recovered herself and nodded.

That should do. One of Rishe's eventual plans required a plot of land in a temperate climate. House Toona's would likely be perfect, but she needed to confirm a few things with Cornelia. Never back down from a fight. Even further…

She recalled the words of her mentor from her days as a merchant.

Don't bother with fights that you can't win.

The other ladies fled, fearful of this strange girl who gulped down painfully spicy wine like it was nothing.

**************************************