Chapter 4: How much you want me as your princess

Just then, a glittering coach arrived. Half-stuck in the mud, the man inside it was forced to trudge over the swampy ground, and so the king of Hermity himself arrived, staggering and dirt-stained.

He grabbed hold of his son's collar, pushing him into a low bow. He then turned to Prince Arnold and said, rather loudly, "Your Highness! Allow me to apologize for my son's foolishness! You are an esteemed guest all the way from Galkhein! It is unthinkable he would not offer you the courtesy you are due!"

"You're hurting me, Father! My back!"

The king then turned to Rishe. "My lady, allow me to sincerely apologize as both a king and a father. My son's behavior toward you has been utterly disgraceful. I beg you to please give Prince Arnold's proposal due consideration. Not only for your own sake but for the sake of your country."

The king bowed to her as deeply as his son had to Arnold, and her parents joined him. Rishe felt dizzy at the sight of this abject debasement in the presence of citizens.

Arnold, who had been watching the proceedings with a detached amusement, sobered and stepped toward the king. "Your Majesty, please rise."

Without the smirk, Arnold's face immediately reverted to its cold mask. The king didn't move. Maybe something in Arnold's voice kept him frozen.

"Such a trifle won't cause discord between our kingdoms," he went on.

"However, I would beg a little time to speak with Lady Rishe."

Later, Rishe would learn that Arnold's attendant had spoken to the king's own gentleman, certain that his words would reach their target. "My master took such trouble to attend these festivities, and this is the welcome he is offered? I wonder, what will the emperor think when he learns of his son's slighting at your nation's hands?"

"If you would, Lady Rishe?" The plump king looked to be on the verge of tears.

Rishe had no obligation to accept and no desire to spend a moment longer in this country than was absolutely necessary. But acquiescence seemed the fastest way to move things along.

As her mind whirled, Arnold leaned in to whisper, "If you refuse to hear my suit, you won't deter me. I'll simply move on to Plan B."

And that was how she found herself in one of the palace's parlors, here to "Just talk" to Prince Arnold. The ball guests were all gone. It was just the two of them.

"I want to know what you're planning," Rishe said flatly.

"Planning? Me?"

"By asking me to marry you. You don't know me. A proposal like this wouldn't come out of the blue."

This man was destined to become an aggressive warmonger over the next few years. He wouldn't do anything without a dozen motives.

Prince Arnold just smiled. "I have no plans. I'm simply enamored with you."

"Enamored…?"

That was the last thing she'd expected him to say. Asking him to elaborate didn't seem worth the breath—he was obviously lying. As if this ruthless, inhuman creature with ice in his veins could feel even a flicker of affection.

"Why refuse me?" Arnold asked. "Your engagement is broken, you're on the verge of exile, and you have no faction or supporters. At this rate, you'll be dead within a fortnight. I'd call my offer a stroke of unbelievable fortune."

"You're not wrong," Rishe admitted. "Once upon a time, I would have jumped at your offer."

If it had been made in her first life, for instance. But now Rishe knew better.

Her life was only just getting started, and the future held endless possibilities.

After the horror of her sixth loop, she yearned for freedom.

I don't want to marry him. I won't be anyone's captive. But still…

Rishe, more than anyone, knew that the slightest adjustment could enact profound changes on the trajectory of a life. No doubt she'd have many more lives, but this could be the only one where marriage to Arnold would be an option.

The dread emperor. The tyrant. The man who will stoke the fires of war.

Rishe knew the gossip, the endless conjecture behind Arnold Hein's bloody reign, but she didn't know the truth.

Why? The question had haunted her since her first life. She'd never before had the chance to even speak to him.

She had wondered it as a merchant, hearing of the distant outbreak of war.

She'd wondered when the news of the dead and dying reached her apothecary.

When she had comforted her terrified mistress in her life as a maid, assuring her everything would be all right. When she squared off against him in battle, as he plunged a sword through her heart—even then she wondered.

If I stick around, maybe I'll finally have my answer.

Half of her was dying to know. The other half didn't give a damn. And yet…

She recalled a childhood dream. Rather, a longing.

Rishe let out a breath. "You claim you are enamored with me."

"Yes. I am completely under your spell."

To think he could spout such nonsense with a straight face!

"Then will you grant me anything I desire?"

"So long as it is within my power," Arnold said. "Anything you want will be yours."

Rishe hesitated, gathering her thoughts. "I have some conditions."

Arnold silently motioned for her to go on. "I want full control over the wedding festivities. Everything must be procured through merchants of my choosing."

"Fine." Arnold nodded. "You're free to do business with whomever you wish."

"After we are married, I must be in a position to mingle with guests from abroad."

"That sounds within the purview of the crown princess. Anything else?"

"I will be allowed to live in a separate residence from your mother and father."

She meant this seriously, but it made Arnold laugh. "You don't seem the type to worry about an overbearing mother-in-law."

"You would be surprised. Combative relationships with one's new family are the most difficult part of marriage, or so they say. It could be a ramshackle cottage for all I care—I just require a secondary residence."

Actually, Rishe didn't care at all about in-laws. When Arnold set his war into motion, his first move would be the assassination of his father. A genuine coup by patricide, not at all like Dietrich's clumsy attempt. Next, he would name himself emperor, take control of the country, and mobilize the military.

Separating him from his parents will make the first step more difficult—although not impossible, unfortunately.

"Anything else?" Arnold asked.

"I'll do whatever it takes to marry you."

"Ideally, I'd like to know your endgame," Rishe said with dignity. "But as I doubt there's any chance of that, I have one final request."

She jabbed a finger into his face, regardless of how rude it was. "I will spend my time idling around the castle. No work, no study. I shall be utterly useless."

Let's see just how much you want me as your princess.

After a long moment of silence, Arnold cracked a merry laugh. The proposal remained; all her conditions were met.