Chapter 24: Why am I so angry about this?

**************************************

The next day, Rishe headed out to her garden, despairing over how best to begin her investigation into her business plan. Just then, voices rang out behind her, catching her off guard.

"M-my lady! Please, you must return to your chambers at once."

"His Highness will be so angry! Please, I beg you!"

Rishe surveyed the knights as they tripped over each other in concern.

What in the world?

A boy lay sprawled in the freshly tilled dirt, apparently napping. Rishe did not recognize him from any of her many lives. He had hair as black as Arnold's, and even asleep, he radiated an androgynous beauty.

Bewildered, she muttered, "And I just finished tilling this soil too."

"My lady!" A knight yelped. "That's not the issue!"

He was right. Black hair was unusual on this continent, so it was obvious who this boy was.

"That's His Royal Highness, Prince Theodore!"

I thought so. The beautiful boy snoozing away in the dirt was indeed Arnold's little brother.

I can't believe I have to deal with him literally the day after Arnold warned me not to.

She'd never known of Theodore's existence before this life. Coming from abroad, she had no reason to study the makeup of the Galkhein imperial family. All she knew about the boy was what she had heard since her arrival.

If I remember correctly, he's four years younger than Prince Arnold. Which means he's fifteen, like me.

There were six children in the Galkhein imperial family. Arnold and Theodore were the only male heirs, which meant the other four were all princesses.

"Mm." Theodore began to stir, sending the knights back into a fuss.

"Lady Rishe, please! You must leave at once!"

The boy murmured, "Mmngh, did someone say 'Rishe'?"

"Oops!" The knight slapped a hand over his mouth as his partner smacked him from behind.

Theodore's eyelids fluttered open in response to hearing Rishe's name. They were the same blue as Arnold's, reflecting the sky. He put up an arm to ward off the sun, looking up at her. "You're my brother's…?"

It seemed he did know about her.

"It is an honor to make your acquaintance, Prince Theodore. I'm so sorry I haven't greeted you before now." Rishe smiled warmly, despite choosing her words with all appropriate caution.

"My name is Rishe Irmgard Weitzner. As fate would have it, I shall soon join the imperial household. Flawed as I am, I will do my utmost to be a valuable member of your family."

More like a lazy member of the family. But I digress.

Theodore blinked at her sleepily. She prayed the knights wouldn't overreact again.

I don't expect a warm welcome.

Rishe was a hostage, after all. From Galkhein's point of view, she was nothing more than a duke's daughter from a minor nation.

As she awaited what move he'd make, Theodore sat up and smiled. "It's nice to meet you, my radiant sister-in-law!"

Rishe's eyes fluttered in surprise.

His grinning face was unbelievably pretty, almost feminine. "What a stroke of luck, us meeting like this. I sent my brother so many notes, but he never replied. Although now that I see you, I understand why he'd want to keep such a lovely lady all to himself."