Bonus Story: The Lullaby of a Heartbeat

RISHE WORKED SWIFTLY AND DILIGENTLY in a bed chamber of the main palace. It was the middle of the afternoon, but the thick navy-blue curtains kept the room dim. She was setting up the perfect environment for a quiet sleep.

I've lit some calming perfumed oils, and the temperature in the room seems fine. It's a bit too bright for sleeping, but I'm sure it won't be much of a bother with the canopy shut.

Rishe wasn't preparing these chambers for herself, however. She looked toward the room's owner and smiled.

"Now then, Your Highness. Rest as much as you need to. I'll stay as long as you want me."

From the bed, Arnold scowled.

The previous day, Rishe had been abducted and imprisoned by Theodore, staying up all night. The two brothers had managed to settle some of their differences, and she had fallen asleep from relief.

Awakening just thirty or so minutes ago, she learned that Arnold had been up even longer, staying by her side the whole time. She had thanked him and urged Arnold to rest as well, but then he had shocked her by saying, "I'll stay up until nightfall."

Rishe was dumbstruck by his disregard. "But you've been up for nearly two days!Don't tell me you've got a pile of work from yesterday."

"Oh, I finished all of that while you were asleep," He said, so nonchalant about important matters of state.

If he didn't have to work, why wouldn't he rest?

When Rishe asked, he answered, "Because I can't sleep during the day. I can hear everyone moving around the palace. I can sense them."

She knew what he was referring too—she had felt it before herself. On the battlefield, your senses sharpened and you'd sit bolt upright at the slightest presence.

But that was just on the battlefield, Rishe reflected.

Rishe had apothecary skills, and she couldn't just let him stay up the entire day because he couldn't fall asleep. Especially since it was for her well-being that he'd kept himself awake. She needed to repay the favor.

"Your Highness," She said to him, "Out of curiosity, do you find it easier to sleep in a room with a consistent brightness rather than one where the lights are incessantly switching on and off?"

"Well, yes. I suppose."

"Sensing a presence should be the same. Detecting someone moving around at a distance prevents a swordsman from their slumber. But if someone remains nearby, it will drown out everyone else and make it easier to fall asleep." Rishe put a hand to her chest as she spoke. "Therefore, I shall lull you to sleep."

After a long silence, Arnold said, "What?"

And now here they were. Arnold lay in bed, pressing a hand to his forehead and saying, "You are extremely bizarre."

"Must I remind you that you agreed to fulfill my wishes when you proposed to me? I'm taking advantage of your kindness for the good of your health." Her pride as an apothecary was at stake.

Arnold opened his mouth to argue, apparently thought better of it, and returned his gaze to the canopy. Rishe placed a chair by the bed and sat down on it.

"Well? Can you sense anyone from a distance now?"

Arnold looked thoughtful. "You're right that I'm focusing on you and not anyone else, yes."

Well, that makes this suddenly more awkward.

But at least Rishe's tactic worked. The perfumed oils would likely help as well.