Chapter 21: Believe me, I know

I had no chance back there, Rishe thought, idly sipping a cup of tea. She'd shed the ridiculous jewels and changed into a plain, serviceable gown that was easier to move in. She was sitting in her parlor in the detached wing with a plate of fresh-baked cookies in front of her, but she couldn't even summon up the energy to try one.

I admit, I was nervous, but I thought I maintained my composure well enough. Yet he still saw through me. I lost that round, no doubt about it.

The truth was, she'd never beaten Tully. Not even in her subsequent lives, when she knew what to expect.

Around her, her maids chattered among themselves.

"He finally proposed!"

"Wow, I'm so happy for you!"

The girls had finished their studies for the day, and they too were clustered around drinking tea. On most days, Rishe would join in. Today she barely heard them.

"Aww, I hope I meet a man that wonderful someday!"

Maybe he was simply being cautious? He doesn't jump into deals that look too good to be true. Still, did he really read the desperation in my face? He's a gambler at heart. This isn't like him.

After much thinking, she only had one conclusion: He didn't choose me, and that's a fact.

Rishe sat in quiet dejection. Without the trading company's connections, she couldn't appeal to powerful people, and she couldn't prevent the war. Without that, her happy life wouldn't last. And as loath as she was to admit it…Rishe hated being met with Tully's disapproval. She'd wanted to take her old boss for everything he had.

Also, something he said was still bothering her.

That couldn't have been an accident…could it?

"Speaking of weddings, what about you, my lady?" One of the maids asked.

"How did His Highness propose to you?"

"Oh, I've been wondering too!" chirped another. "All the girls in the city are dying to know!"

He said specifically that he'd be staying in Galkhein over the next couple of days. He even told me how to find the name of the inn.

"My lady?"

The maids gave her concerned looks as Rishe began to smile. "I'm so sorry. I'm feeling a bit indisposed. I think I'll retire for the night."

The maids all chimed in with concern. Rishe waved them off.

"No need. I'll join you for tea another day. I won't require dinner this evening either."

"As you wish, my lady. We'll be sure to let you rest."

"And we'll have plenty of tea ready tomorrow morning!"

Rishe thanked the girls for their understanding, then went to her chambers and locked the door. In her hands were a few packets of herbs.

**************************************

"You're in fine form tonight, sir."

Kaine Tully strode down the streets of Galkhein's capital, flanked by his employees, who commended him on his festive enjoyment of the local spirits.

He was in a good mood, his shirt half-unbuttoned, nearly humming with pleasure as he said, "Galkhein has wonderful liquor. We should buy up the whole store to sell up north."

"Why would we do that, sir? You'd just drink our profits down before we even got them in the wagons!"

"Yes, yes, hilarious. Not wrong, though." He laughed with his men as they made their way back to the inn. He'd have preferred to bring a woman or two back with him, but he had his reasons. "Say, I'm still thirsty. Another round? I'm sure the tavern floor can pull a decent pint."