Chapter 19: Today, I'm dressed for battle

Flower petals danced in the wind. Dressed in a linen gown, Rishe hacked away at the soil with a hand hoe. "Take that!"

She'd spent the last few days tilling her future garden, a small corner of a courtyard granted to her by Arnold at her request.

This should be enough space for the meantime.

Rishe surveyed her tilled land with satisfaction. Buckets of mulch sat nearby, fertile soil she'd collected from a deciduous tree in the garden.

With an enormous heave, she picked up a bucket and began scattering soil over the tilled ground. By the time she was finished, her arms were numb.

I need to start working out.

This body had belonged to a sedentary noblewoman until recently, with no muscle density or stamina to speak of. She found it far inferior to the forms she'd cultivated as a knight or an apothecary tending her garden. Her mind knew the motions, but her conditioning couldn't stand up to it.

Still, she wanted to get more work done before her aching body forced her to pack it in.

Taking a break from the bucket, she began hacking away with her hoe, aerating the soil by mixing it together with the mulch. She took care to remove any roots she came across, but she wasn't as thorough as she could have been. She was curious to see what unfamiliar flowers might bud between her rows of plants.

Her knights, standing guard a little ways away, watched Rishe curiously. Diana soon joined them, her eyes going round as saucers. "My lady, what are you doing?"

"Oh, this? I'm tilling a field."

"A field? But you're the future empress!"

When Rishe finished mixing the dirt, she formed the soil into soft ridges. It was ready for planting, but Rishe decided it would be best to let it sit and acclimate to the sunlight for the time being. She wiped the sweat from her brow, grinning at the flabbergasted Diana.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Are you ready to show me what you've come up with?"

"Oh, yes!" Diana nervously presented Rishe the document. The paper had neat lines of handwriting and charming little doodles of brooms and dust cloths.

"I was thinking that the first words the newcomers should learn how to read are the words for cleaning equipment."

Diana was still clad in the maids' dress, though she had removed her apron. She plucked at her skirts anxiously. "These are words they use daily in their work," she added. "I thought it would be helpful."

"Good thinking," Rishe said. "I agree."

Diana's expression momentarily brightened before fading back into gloom.

Maybe she didn't feel as confident as she'd first appeared. "To be honest…I wonder if they wouldn't be happier learning how to read and write their own names first."

"True. It's certainly good to consider the likes and dislikes of your students."

Rishe recalled the life she'd spent as a maid and the son of the manor who had been taught to read by a private tutor. He'd practice with such concentration and then run over to show her.

Tapping her chin, she said, "But with the names…they wouldn't be able to review together, nor could they help each other out if someone forgets. And you'd have to teach them one by one instead of all together—does that make sense?"

"Yes, I see." Diana breathed a sigh of relief.

"I think teaching them how to read and write the words that they can immediately use for work is a wonderful idea. I'd be thrilled if I were your student."

"You're too kind." Diana glowed, hugging the paper to herself. "I actually quite enjoy this work, my lady. It's even more fun than coming up with insults."

Rishe laughed. "I'm glad to hear that."

"But if you don't mind me asking, my lady… Why bother with this? Why are you offering us so much help?"

"Well…"

Rishe hesitated long enough that they were interrupted by Elsie, who sidled up meekly.

"My lady, it's about time to get ready."

Rishe nodded. "Excuse me, Diana. I have an appointment. Keep up the good work!"

"Of course!"

"Oh, Diana!" Elsie smiled shyly.

"Can we do another review after dinner tonight?"

Diana lit up. "Of course! Make sure you're prepared because none of you are going to bed until you get every answer right!"

Elsie giggled, waving as she and Rishe returned to the detached wing. "The bath is ready, my lady."

"Perfect. I need to wash off all of this sweat and dirt. I'll need to wash my hair too. Elsie, will you lay out my finest gown and help me with my hair?" Rishe almost skipped in excitement at who she was going to see afterward.

Elsie trotted behind her, puzzled. "I heard that gentleman is a merchant. Do you really need to wear your best gown?"

"Hmm, I guess you have a point. But trust me on this, it'll all work out."

"Oh…?"

The Aria Trading Company's guild master, a man named Tully, was due to arrive in a few hours.

This was the merchant company that had given Rishe a helping hand in her very first life. Everything she learned about commerce, she learned from Tully. The value of goods, strategies for judging a trading partner. He taught her to spend money to make more of it, warning her against get-rich-quick schemes. Rishe owed her apprenticeship to Tully, without a doubt.

With the Aria Trading Company on her side, Rishe would greatly expand her pool of allies. They could assist her if she needed a quick escape from Galkhein, fleeing divorce or banishment. They could shore up a supply route for a war. Or course, Rishe had to make it worth their while.

If I can make this deal, we'll have a connection. Now, how do I snag Tully on my hook?

Rishe climbed out of the bath, pondering the question as she dried off and put on her fanciest gown.

It's early enough in the timeline that they haven't been long established; any ordinary company would be champing at the bit to nab an imperial wedding. But with Tully I'm not so sure.

Rishe ruminated on this as Elsie did her hair. When at last she was ready, she blinked her way out of her fugue and looked in the mirror. Her hair was done in soft curls, her gown a stunning blood red. This time she did wear jewelry—lots of it—and carried a feathered fan.

Hmm… Hard to decide what vibe to go for. A tasteless, gaudy spendthrift, and therefore an easy mark? Or a noblewoman so high in the instep she'll spare no expense?

Elsie looked at her dubiously. "My lady, I tried my best to put your hair up to match the dress, with a few loose pieces to complete the look, but…" She trailed off.

Elsie was exceptional at picking outfits and coordinating styles—she'd been dressing her own little sisters for years.

Rishe squared her shoulders. If she was scaring her own lady's maid, that must mean her ploy was working.

"I appreciate it, Elsie. But today I'm dressed for battle."

7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to His Worst Enemy!On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara