Chapter 43: I'm glad you two have made up

"?" Rishe made a questioning noise.

"I should have skipped the schemes and done this sooner. I can't believe how badly I screwed up."

Rishe shuddered as she realized what Theodore had come up here to do. With an almost playful smile, he began to lean backward against the railing.

"Your Highness, please don't do this!" Rishe lurched over to him, her vision wavering as she fell.

Why now of all times?!

She couldn't even muster the strength to get back on her feet. Her head pounded like a struck bell.

Theodore looked down at her with a satisfied smile.

"Thank you, Sister. I wasn't expecting your concern to make me happy, but it does."

"Wait!" She desperately reached out her hand, even though he was meters away.

"DON'T!"

A shadow rushed past her.

The figured grabbed Theodore by the arm, yanking him off the railing.

Theodore gasped in recognition.

"Brother?!" He gazed up at Arnold, stupefied.

Arnold's back was turned to Rishe, so she couldn't make out his expression. Still, what he did next surprised her.

Smack!

Arnold grabbed Theodore by the collar and slapped him across the face.

"What the hell were you thinking ?"

Rishe had never heard Arnold shout like that before. Theodore pressed a hand to his cheek, gaping up at his brother.

"I—" Theodore's voice was choked down to nothing. "Th-this is it. This is the only way I can help you. I'll never matter to you!"

"Don't be a fool." Arnold's tone was frigid.

"What kind of idiot would throw his life away for someone who has never done a single thing to earn his esteem?"

Despite his words, Rishe was sure of her conclusions. Arnold kept Theodore at a distance out of love.

"Don't do something like this for my sake." Arnold growled.

Theodore was about to say something, but he gave up, on the verge of tears.

Rishe sighed in relief, forcing herself to her feet. "You're right, Your Highness. That was stupid."

Arnold slowly looked back at her.

Enduring her throbbing headache, Rishe said, "The feeling behind it is real. It's not foolish for him to want to help his older brother." Her breath shook, going shallow.

"Isn't that right, Prince Theodore?"

Theodore now sat on the ground, clenching his fist. "She's right."

Arnold blinked. "What are you—"

"It's all I've ever wanted." Theodore's numb confusion was gone, replaced by determination.

"I want to stand by you. I want you to need me! If there's any way I can help you, I'll do it, no matter what." His eye —the same eyes—pierced Arnold's.

"Because you're my only brother, and I care about you."

Arnold didn't reply. Rishe wished she could see his face. She watched them both attentively. Before long, Arnold released Theodore's collar and slowly stood back up.