Chapter 2: No matter what path you choose, never forget that

She'd made such a foolish mistake. Arnold's gaze cut right through her. It felt like he'd see through any lie she told right down to her soul. She remembered this from the battlefield—how his attention alone felt like a sword thrust.

But why even bother to lie? They'd never meet again, so who cared what he thought of her? Sure, she harbored a hard feeling or two over the recent slaying, but there was no point complaining about it to this Arnold. Calling him the emperor was boorish, but Rishe was in the process of being forcibly exiled. Why play at diplomacy?

She took a deep breath and bowed low. This was not the curtsy of a noble lady but of a servant bowing in supplication to her master.

"My humblest apologies, Your Highness. I was in a rush. Such a rude slip of the tongue." She raised her head.

"My ex-fiancé just annulled our engagement, so I've got a lot on my mind. If you would excuse me."

"He annulled your engagement?"

At that, Rishe turned and fled.

This unexpected run-in with Arnold had taken up valuable time. She threw her hands to open the door of the balcony and hiked up her skirts, kicking off her shoes in anticipation of jumping into a tree. Looking down, she realized the ground was far closer than she'd feared.

Excellent! I can just drop into the garden!

"...."

Arnold, who up until now had been rendered speechless, shook himself out of his fugue as Rishe clambered over the railing.

"Hey!"

Rishe's moonlight-silver dress flowed around her as she leapt. The lawn was soft, but the fall was still far enough to risk injury.

Weight evenly distributed on the soles of my feet, roll to transfer the impact to my shins and thighs, then onto my hips and my back.

She landed safely, rolled nimbly in her dress, and popped back up. Her hair was covered in leaves.

I need to hurry up!

Bracing against a nearby rock, she used her weight to snap the heels off of her shoes. There. That would make running a little easier. Satisfied, she slipped them back on and made haste toward the family estate.

**************************************

Up on the balcony, Crown Prince Arnold of Galkhein watched the spectacle play out from beginning to end. He gazed at the girl with the coral hair.

Her appearance was that of any young noblewoman, but she moved like a well-trained knight. She'd leapt from the balcony and landed skillfully, showing no signs of distress at her ripped dress or disheveled hair. Instead, she'd knocked the heels off her shoes and dashed away.

Also, she had called him an emperor.

Playing it all over again in his head, Arnold broke out into a rare chuckle.

"Ha ha!"

As his shoulders quivered with laughter, his attendant approached him from behind.

"There you are, Your Highness. What are you doing out here? I'm aware you don't desire a wife, but beginning the search would be wise… Er, Your Highness?"

The attendant's eyes flew wide. His bored and scowling master was laughing. "Did something happen?"

"Oliver, ready my coach. Wait, no. That will take too much time. Bring me a horse."

"At once, Your Highness. Might I ask why?"

Arnold didn't respond—he just grinned like a hungry wolf catching scent of his prey.