nightmares and daydreams

Russia was a cold place, but no place sent chills down Ana's spine, like her old childhood home.

"You don't have to do this, Ana," Steve warned her, as her hand wrapped around the familiar feeling doorknob. The metal was cool against the palm of her hand, and Ana sighed.

"I know," She whispered, more to herself than to Steve. She turned the knob and stepped inside, the smell of her mothers old perfume still lingered in the house, making her heart flood with emotions. All their furniture, the old family photos, remained. Until recently, this house was a large piece of evidence in her parents missing person's case. She was only partially grateful no one had rented the house before she was of age, and could legally own it. Only for reasons like this.

"Set up," Ana breathed out. "Do whatever you need, just be kind enough to give me a second alone."

Though reluctant, the team sprung into action, setting up their computers, laying out plans, and reading strategy books. Ana stalked up the stairs to her old bedroom, which had been untouched since she was last there.

The wallpaper was peeling at the edges, and dust coated every surface, but those were the only changes in the room. Her dolls were still lined up in alphabetical order at the end of her bed. Alexandra, Marina, Olga and Vera. Her stuffed animals were tucked in for bed. Her dirty clothes bin was still full, and her jewelry box was still partially broken.

Ana sighed, slowly walking over to her small bed and sitting on it, a sense of bitter nostalgia washing over her.

"Are you okay?" Wanda's meek voice asked. Ana rolled her eyes.

"Can't even give me a minute alone?" She hissed, immediately regretting it when she saw Wanda's expression falter.

"I'm sorry," Ana apologized. "This place scares me. Sets me on edge."

Wanda smiled. "But it is no longer your biggest fear anymore, is it?"

Ana chuckled bitterly. "No, but trust me. Something else with take its place. Something bigger. I won't even know what it is until it cripples me, which is the scariest part. You don't know what you are afraid of until you are forced to face it head on."

Wanda's eyebrows furrowed together. "I have never thought of it that way. It is an interesting notion," Wanda mumbled.

Ana shrugged, before an idea popped into her head. "Will you show me? Will you show me what I am afraid of?"

Wanda's eyes widened. "Of course not!" She shouted incredulously, causing Ana to hit her shoulder for being so loud.

"Be quiet! He'll hear you-"

"Who will hear?" Pietro piped up from the doorway. Ana rolled her eyes.

"Great," She grumbled to herself. "Now, I really have no chance at seeing it."

"You had no chance in the first place," Wanda reprimanded her.

"Yeah," Pietro started, drawing out the word. "I apologize for intruding on your girl talk, I am sure you guys were in a heated debate on which brand of pad is better for heavy flows. But I am here to ask whether or not the Princessa, was okay."

Ana's cheeks heated up, at the mention of girly materials.

"Brother, I am this close to blasting you into the next room," Wanda told him, glaring at him.

Pietro lifted his hands in defense. "It was joke, calm down!"

Ana rolled her eyes. "You've been hanging around Clint way too much."