Chapter 1/The Nightmare Begins

"Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded. The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race." Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists.

2024: 42 hours after the end of the 6 month man/machine war: The area formally known as California.

Jenny's point of view (POV).

"You know who I blame for the robot apocalypse? F****ing Mathematicians." I said to no one in particular. What can I say?I was three days late for class and waiting makes me cranky.

"Not the Werewolf Marines then?" suggested the hobo, who for the last 40 minutes had stared at the floor next to me and said nothing.

"The Werewolf Marines just saw those robots coming, did the smart thing and ran away," I said. "Mathematicians, Bullshit Mathematicians" I started pushing my spectacles back up my nose to my eyes. I began putting on the stupid sarcastic voice 'Oh we've created a formal proof to show that there is no way that robots can break the first law of robotics and so harm human beings'. They said the robots were now completely safe." I complained.

"Completely safe Hogwash," said the Hobo.

"And what genius came up with the idea of powering computers with human blood as a safety feature? That was sooooo bound to work out well," I said pushing my glasses back up my nose, wishing I had brought something to read. 

"Biotech scum" the Hobo added without looking up.

"Bet it was some Lint Licking Mathematician" I continued.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself: it's a reflective pronoun that means me. 

As you can see, I don't like mathematicians. I'm smart, but I don't know when to shut up, which I think is mostly a good thing. I was studying to be a scientist one day, and my worst trait is that I like driving around racing games backwards to see what happens. If I had a superpower, it would be not-being-able-to-find-or-keep-a-decent-boyfriend. It was a superpower I was only currently able to apply to myself. My super weakness would be an inability to walk on a beach in a swimsuit in summer without completely losing any hint of self-confidence: a super weakness that would be exploited by super villains on beaches every time.

On my good side, I was 100% behind the resistance. Before the battle for i280, I was running around with food for the Werewolf Marines as they set up their 'iron perimeter'. The biggest buildup of fighting power in the history of humanity and my sorority house was in sight of the barricades. After weeks of buildup and digging in, the Marines lasted about 15 minutes. The might of the US forces had the same stopping power as a wet tissue. I hid in the shelter for a few days then emerged to find all of San Francisco under the New Mechanical Order's control. I felt like luggage at San Francisco International Airport: lost. I went back to my sorority house at the University, arriving before 2 o'clock and found a couple of cards on the floor of my room.

'DEAR __JENNY BANKS__. WE CAME ROUND AT __1:15__ TO SUBJUGATE YOU BUT YOU WERE OUT. YOUR SUBJECTION WAS LEFT WITH A NEIGHBOUR '

YOURS THE NEW MECHANICAL ORDER.

Next to it was a button badge with the word 'I've been subjugated by the new mechanical order' and another with 'subjugated by robot overlords'  on it. They were attached to a card with 'wear with pride' printed on it. I wasn't sure these machines really understood how to subjugate people properly.