10-School

A few days went by. Mostly I was alone in the hospital, because Mark was at school. Other times I had the occasional visitor, like Mel. Only Mel. I never see Kat anymore. Did she know what happened to me? Probably not. 

I'm excited.

Today was Wednesday. I could leave the hospital now, but couldn't do track for the rest of the year. Excuse? I'm on crutches.  

Bam, PE teacher. How am I supposed to run the track in crutches!

I open the big double doors leading to the main hall and look around. Happy to be back here with Melissa, Mark, and Katrina. Even if she wasn't speaking to me, I was still glad to be in the class with her. 

I see Katrina in the hallway, eyeing my new backpack. Mark's gift. Where's Mark anyway?

I look at her, but she turns away and walks towards her first class. Too bad, I wanted to ask her what was up. I'll do it later.

I still have 10 minutes until the bell rings, and I need to find Mark. The doctors didn't exactly tell him I was going to start school today, so I wanted to say a little hello. I scan the gigantic hallway and notice a huge clump of people. Ah there, his little squad. I walk up towards them.

"You gotta tell her" one whispers, but I can make it out. Probably just one of the other members of the boy clique. 

I take a few more steps forward. One of the boys next to Mark elbows him when they see me. 

"Perri?" Mark asks, whipping around, like he was trying to hide something. Hmm, what's wrong. Probably just surprised I'm here. Or maybe he's embarrassed since his friends are here.

"It's me!" I say while moving my crutches in the air. I'm not the goofy type, but the awkwardness of the situation is weighing in on me. I mean like, twenty eyes are on me.

 "Lets go." he says, probably trying to make me more comfortable. Then he leads me towards the cafeteria. Wait... I need to get to class. I only have ten minutes. Probably less than that now. 

"It's not lunch." I state the obvious. It isn't lunch. Shouldn't he know that? Or is he going crazy... He's probably going crazy. Yeah, that's it. 

"I need to talk to you." he says, completely serious "Your teachers are expecting you at second period."

YAY I get to skip class!