Please Don't Make This Another Facebook!

This is a warning to all those wattpad users; past, present, and future. A public service announcement for you. On this rant, we shall discuss the clear divide between Facebook and Wattpad. Let’s begin with the most popular social networking site: Facebook.

Facebook is meant for friends to connect together in a online forum-style format and chat about their daily lives. They post statuses, comment on others as well as include photos and much more. It has effectively taken over Myspace and thus has become the hotspot for social networking and reconnecting with old Friends.

Wattpad is a place where writers come together to share their work. The goal is to eventually get published professionally. Readers also connect looking for good stuff to read for free. Everyone comments, votes, and gives feedback to growing writers so that everyone can become better and more successful writers.

Or so I thought.

Users of Wattpad: this is not Facebook. Your statuses about how your day is going or what the weather looks like are irrelevant. Please, leave that to Facebook. Please. I thought the goal of this site was to try and get published, not make friends. Granted, it is nice to make a few friends along the way on Wattpad, but that should not be the focus.

Now, this is more towards the younger girls, but STOP posting about your life on here. Really there are only two places that should be allowed: your profile description and PM. That’s final. Leave your personal stuff to personal conversations.

That brings up another point. If making friends is so important to those who may object, why can’t you send a PM? I know everyone on your fan list cares about the dinner you had last night. Therefore, direct your comments to those who would care, and the place is in PM.

People, I’m not saying stop your ways. I’m not trying to change anyone. I’m just trying to change the medium in which you do it before this becomes a social networking site and defeats the real purpose.

So please, PM your personal life, and leave the rest of this site to those who are trying to get better and get published.

For the Ranting Diaries, this is its_dbigs signing off…for now.