Captivation Part 3

She upped her speed. "Excuse me." Caitlin was too angry to even notice that she and Jared were the focus of attention. But she couldn't fail to hear one particular comment when she passed by a small group of women.

"He turned her down?" The incredulity was not feigned.

"Told her daddy couldn't buy him." The gossip was not whispered.

Jared heard the comments and winced on the inside. So much for a private conversation. No doubt the entire hall would know about their supposedly private conversation before the band even began the next set. Jared was about to interrupt when another comment was tossed into the discussion.

"And he said she didn't know how to kiss!" One of the women announced baldly. There was a smattering of giggling that followed that statement. With that comment, it dawned on Caitlin that she was probably the topic of conversation in the whole room. Perfect. Just bloody perfect, she mulled in silent fury.

People glanced at Caitlin and Jared and then glanced away, only to engage in whispered conversation behind their hands. The group Caitlin had left earlier went silent as soon as she reached them. Well tonight was going to be anything but boring, the silent voice in her head almost had her giggling when she thought about her situation.

"Thanks for the 'dance' Jared." Caitlin said coolly and with little attempt to hide her contempt.

As if it wasn't bad enough that the man felt he had to warn her off setting her sights on him, when she hadn't. It was now a hundred times worse because their 'private' conversation had been broadcast. Caitlin was just relieved that her father was not present this evening. He'd be mortified by the gossip that was circulating.

A few minutes ago she had left this group, with her composure intact, her reputation unspoiled and her self-control in place. Then this man had materialised. And for several seconds she had thought life was suddenly going to get interesting. She was sure his sudden appearance and request for her company would bolster her standing, taking her from living beneath her father's shadow to being of interest in her own right. How things changed in the blink of an eye. For it was just a pity that now, less than fifteen minutes later, now she was a pitied joke. She couldn't wait to get home. Couldn't wait to talk to her older sister about this. Georgia would know how to handle this. Georgia would know how to break the news to their father. He no doubt would be furious with Jared. And being the fair-minded person that Caitlin was, she knew that the situation was not really Jared's fault. He wasn't to know that their conversation was not private. He wasn't to know that Lisa was simply using Caitlin for target practice. Then Caitlin told herself to stop feeling sorry for the man! He was partly responsible for the situation, given he was arrogant enough to think she had chosen him.

"You're welcome." Jared replied automatically and wondered whether there was any chance to correct the stories that would no doubt circulate. He could see from the set of her pursed lips, and the banked fury in her eyes that she was just about holding onto her temper. Understandable, given the situation now. "Can I get you a drink?" He thought he should at least try and show the crowd that there was no animosity, whatever the rumours.

"A neat whisky would be great thanks." Caitlin replied automatically. Several looked at her in surprise. Caitlin did not care. She liked the drink. But right at the moment, she figured she needed that drink!

His eyebrows shot to his hairline and then his lips quirked as he reassessed. The puritan drank neat whisky? Well perhaps he'd got her wrong after all. "Be right back." Jared murmured quietly and turned to walk toward the bar.

As soon as he left the group crowded round her, keen to find out more about the situation, and flesh out few more details. Given the way Jared and Caitlin were behaving, perhaps things weren't as dire as reported. Surely if he'd been rude enough to tell her he was not interested, she'd be angry, or humiliated. She seemed calm. But then, many of them knew that Caitlin was good at portraying a cool calm image.

"He's not worth it." One said and hoped Caitlin would tell them what happened in more detail. It would be even better if Caitlin started criticizing the man. That would give them something to get their teeth into.

But Caitlin remained quiet. She said nothing.

"The arrogance of the guy." Said another. But the comment sounded insincere.

"He's so bloody fit." That comment was sincere. And Caitlin could agree with the sentiment. The man was gorgeous in a kind of aloof, dangerous, sexy way! She nearly laughed. What did she know about dangerous and sexy? Going by his account, nothing.

"He should be flattered...."

Deciding the group would continue to try to get her to engage in disrespecting him, she opted to put a stop to the conversation. "No harm done." Caitlin shrugged as she looked directly at Lisa, who smiled malevolently. Caitlin said no more. She just kept her eyes trained on the woman until Lisa dropped her gaze and shifted away from the group.

When the rest of the group realised Caitlin wasn't going to volunteer further information they decided to be blunt, "Did he really say your father couldn't buy him?"

"How awful." Said a voice that sounded sincere.

And so it went on. Caitlin blanked the conversation while they hashed what she had thought was a private conversation. Her veneer of calm poise slotted into place as the group around her continued to publicly dissect and misrepresent her conversation with Jared. This was one reason why Georgia hated coming to these social events. She did not like the idle gossip.

Jared returned a few minutes later and handed Caitlin the glass of alcohol. He could feel the tenseness radiate from her. He offered a silent apology. She ignored it as she stood and listened to the muted voices. The surrounding group watched with interest as Jared leaned toward her. Caitlin wanted to step back, but instead she stood her ground. At any other time he might have found her stance intriguing. But he was pretty sure that women like her would run screaming from the reality of men like him. She'd want rose petals and soft words. He offered neither. She'd be used to cosy and comforting. He did neither. He was pretty sure she was cosseted by her father, and all but placed on a pedestal. Not usually the kind of woman he was interested in.

When he realized she was not going to accept his silent apology he decided to speak up. His quiet apology was sincere, "Sorry. It was meant to be a private conversation. I don't know how they heard." And he was mortified on her behalf. For clearly most of their conversation had been overheard and regurgitated.

That was not his intention. He was not a malicious man. Nor was he particularly interested in the social shenanigans that were part and parcel of her set. He'd simply wanted to give her some basic advice, to ask her to remove him from her wish list and to have an evening that he'd anticipated. But it would appear that now, most of those present knew that he'd thrown her aside.

"Much the same way you did, I imagine." Caitlin said flatly, as she took the glass, her eyes pinned Lisa who was now several feet away, and clearly enjoying the unfolding drama. "Thank you for the drink." Caitlin lifted her glass to him, then added, "Please excuse me."

She had no intention of loitering alongside this man. In any case, she figured the group around her would like to hear his side of the story. And Caitlin was pretty sure he'd prefer to be anywhere but here right at the moment.

Then she walked away. Jared watched her go. She didn't appear to be overly ruffled but then he wasn't sure that he had worked her out yet. His first impression was clearly not the right one. For a staid boring woman was unlikely to have whisky as her drink of choice. The last thing he'd have expected her to drink was a neat whisky. Then there was the way she'd stood up to him. Neither aggressive but nowhere near cowering either. She'd stood her ground, kept her poise and dealt with his accusations as if they were nothing of consequence. He had yet to figure her out. But for some unfathomable reason she upset his equilibrium.

The type of women he associated with knew the score, they were unlikely to faint if he suggested sex, there and then. Most would probably have stripped down before he'd voiced the question. But with her, he doubted sex would be anything other than mired in complications. He imagined she would only contemplate sex in the dark to save her modesty. And yet, that just didn't tally with his gut feeling now. The woman who had just walked away from him, gave the impression of hauteur and innocence. With a frown he turned back to the group. The conversation level went up a notch as they decided to try hitting him for more information.