Captivation Part 46

After almost an hour, Jared went in search of Nigel. He needed his own loyal friends to go in to bat for him. If Nigel could get Caitlin onto the dance floor, Jared would cut in! But Jared bumped into Lisa before he met up with Nigel.

"So is their strategy working?" Lisa looked smug. She, like most of the people present could see that Jared was being kept at arms length and his attempts to dance with Caitlin were being met with a solid male wall.

"What strategy?" Jared asked and tried to keep the exasperation from showing. He was running out of patience and dealing with Lisa was not conducive to holding on to the little control Jared still had.

"Caitlin and her team." Lisa said gaily totally oblivious to the fact she was stirring up a hornets nest and the only person within stinging range was her.

"Lisa, I don't know what you are trying to say, and I'm really not interested." Jared snapped.

She shrugged, "Have it your way. Clearly they've read this right. Got you jealous."

"Excuse me." Caitlin stepped through the archway, spotted the two of them and wished she had found another route, "Sorry to trouble you." She waited for them to move and then walked briskly past them. Perfect.

"I don't think my feelings for Caitlin," Jared told Lisa, though his eyes kept track of Caitlin, "are any of your business, Lisa." He flicked Lisa a dismissive look, "Excuse me."

"Fine." Lisa muttered and scowled as Jared marched off in pursuit of Caitlin.

Jared watched as Caitlin took her seat beside her cousin. Jared shook his head and scanned the room. Where the hell was Nigel? Jared went off in search of Nigel. But before Jared could find Nigel, Caitlin's father tapped him on the shoulder. Bearing in mind their previous meeting, Jared wasn't sure what to expect.

"May I have a word?" Jacinto Fonseca kept his tone neutral. "I won't keep you long." Jacinto glanced around as he sought a possible venue to conduct this talk, "Somewhere quiet." He suggested when Jared had not moved from the spot. Of course Jacinto knew that if Jared chose to stay put for this conversation there was little Jacinto could do about it other than walk away.

"The cloakroom?" Jared proposed, sensing that Caitlin's father was not about to be sidelined with this discussion. Jared did not want to conduct this discussion in public. They were already attracting some attention. No doubt tongues would wag after this sighting was spread.

Jared and Jacinto walked toward the cloakroom in utter silence and in complete awareness of the fact that they were the focus of much attention now. Not that either man bothered about that. People were going to talk regardless, given Jared's determination to dance with Caitlin was currently being thwarted by her cousins!

Once in the cloakroom, a quick scan of the room showed it to be empty.

Jacinto folded his arms and tipped his head back slightly in order to make eye contact with the man in front of him. "You appear to have forgotten our last chat."

"Not a word." Jared folded his arms then added without missing a beat, "I'm choosing not to take any notice of it." Jared stated frankly. He knew that Jacinto could if he wanted make life very difficult for Jared as far as dating Caitlin was concerned. But that did not mean that Jared was going to cave.

"Leave my daughter alone." Jacinto narrowed his eyes, and pinned Jared with a steely glare.

"Can't do that." Jared replied frankly again. He saw the surprise in Jacinto's eyes when his statement registered.

Jacinto was shocked. He wasn't expecting such blunt responses. He'd underestimated the man. Jacinto drew himself up to his full height which still left him a good foot shorter than the giant in front of him. But that did not stop him from stating with blunt diction and clear irritation, "I for one, am very proud of my daughters and what they have made of their lives, despite having me for a father. Caitlin told me not to worry about you and the way you have derided her in public. But I refuse to watch you humiliate my daughter again. She's here tonight because I asked her to accompany me, if I had known that she would be the butt of every joke, because of you, I would never have put her through the indignity." He stepped up and jabbed a finger into Jared's rock hard shoulder, "Let me make myself really clear. Stay away from her."

Jared quirked a brow. Then he glanced at the finger still prodding his shoulder and he flicked a look at Jacinto Fonseca. Jacinto removed his finger. Jared squared his shoulders. Jacinto remained standing where he was. Jared was impressed by Caitlin's father's stance. This is what I must it have been like growing up with a father around and one who cared. A father who was willing to put his life on the line for you. Jacinto watched Jared's eyes carefully, as he sensed a change in Jared's demeanour. Jared's respect for the man grew. "I have apologized for what's happened in the past." Jared stated calmly. "To her and to you." He maintained eye contact as he said quietly and with what he hoped was obvious sincerity. "I am here to support her."

"Keep away from her. That will be enough support." Jacinto Fonseca stated firmly then turned and walked away. But as he went he wondered whether he ought to have stayed to discuss the matter further. Something in the last few seconds had all but convinced Jacinto to give Jared a chance! There was something in that man's eyes that suggested that Jacinto could trust Jared to look after Caitlin.

It was only when the door stopped swinging that Douglas stepped forward. Jared spun in his direction. "Sorry. I didn't want to interrupt." Douglas shrugged and studied his friend with open speculation. Jared looked annoyed and exasperated.

"Guess you heard all that?"

Douglas nodded. "Sorry." He looked at his friend with a sheephish wince, "I'm late." He draped his coat on a peg, as he added, "He's got a point."

Jared grunted. "Fuck that!"

Douglas leaned against the wall and clarified his previous statement, "Caitlin has managed very well, despite having Jacinto Fonseca for a father. She does not trade on his name! But she does try to ensure his reputation is not tarnished. That's quite a balancing act she's managing. "

"That's not the point." Jared muttered. Looked like he now had to persuade Caitlin's father as well as Caitlin, that he cared about her.

Douglas came toward Jared, and quirked a brow at his friend. "So, are you going to take his advice?" He knew the answer without having to ask the question.

"No." Jared grunted. He had no intention of doing what Jacinto wanted. In fact tonight Jared intended to have that conversation with Caitlin that was long over due. If it meant having it here, then that's what he'd do. Though his preference was for somewhere less public.

What they needed was some time together. Time to just sit down, set aside what had happened and consider what they wanted to happen. He for one was now even more determined then ever. He wanted her in his life. For the long haul. Forever.

Douglas wished his friend well. He knew given they worked together that the last couple of weeks had been a nightmare working with Jared. He was short tempered. Even his PA said he was not the charming man she had agreed to work for. Douglas knew that Jared's foul mood was down to the fact that he had not been able to talk to Caitlin.

"Thought not." Douglas grinned, relieved to see that his friend was finally really going after what he wanted. "Got a plan?"

"No." Jared grunted. What was the point of plans? His, when they concerned her, tended to be derailed the minute he initiated them. Nothing went to plan. So why bother making them. But that did not mean he wasn't going to go after her this evening. That talk was going to take place. Tonight.

"At least the evening won't be dull." Douglas grinned as he opened the door, "Shall we?" He gestured toward the hallway. "Do you need a wing man, or can I watch from the sides?" Doug teased. Jared shook his head to dismiss his friend's teasing. Jared and Douglas walked along the corridor. "How the mighty have fallen!" Douglas mused just to rile Jared.

"You remember this conversation when cupid's arrow strikes you!" Jared growled just before they both stepped into the hall.