Captivation Part 29

Caitlin did not think she was in their league! And Jared thought she was beyond his reach!

The probability of both of them believing the other was out of reach was rather unexpected. But from what he now knew it looked as if both Jared and Caitlin figured they weren't good enough for each other! Douglas blinked several times as he tried to re run the conversation to double check his conclusions and make sure he wasn't merging the facts to suit his wish list.

"It was a good idea." Douglas mulled aloud deciding to keep fishing for information. The more he found out the more able he would be to help Jared. They had always had each other's backs, and Douglas figured that this moment in time was crucial if he was going to have Jared's back.

"Oh yeah. Worked like a dream." Came the sarcastic rejoinder.

Nigel was still thinking about an earlier comment. "Jared kissed you. I heard the rumor, but well, I mean he, and you, it just didn't seem, well you know..." Nigel petered off when he realized he probably sounded offensive.

Caitlin grinned at Douglas, and chuckled to lessen Nigel's embarrassment before she said, "I rest my case." She winked at Nigel. His statement had just confirmed reality. Though at the same time it felt rather sad, knowing that most people couldn't envisage her and Jared together.

"Your father really didn't put the announcement in, did he?" Douglas announced as if he'd just reached an amazing conclusion instead of knowing from what Jared had said last night that her father wasn't the culprit.

Puzzled by his change in topic, Caitlin looked over at Douglas. "Why would he?" She quirked a brow, "Your friend can't stand me!" Both Nigel and Candy looked at Douglas to see how he'd take the challenge in Caitlin's voice.

The trouble with men like Douglas was that they simply did not give up. Once they had some thing on their mind they just persevered until they got to the bottom of it. "Ok, your father didn't, so who did?" Douglas looked over at Nigel wondering whether he had any ideas. "Jared checked with the editor, he said Mr Fonseca asked him to include it. But if Caitlin's father didn't then who did and why?" Douglas narrowed his eyes on Caitlin for he was pretty sure she had some idea, but, as he was coming to expect, his intimidation tactic had no effect. She really would be perfect for Jared. She wasn't easily cowed. She was more than willing to stand her ground. Jared needed a strong woman to stand alongside him. This woman would be his perfect match.

Caitlin shrugged, and feigned ignorance. She was not going to get embroiled in this discussion. If Jared wanted to make a fool of himself, that was up to him.

"Someone related to the editor." Nigel stated drolly.

Caitlin smiled at him. "Interesting that you worked that out, but our esteemed, supposedly bright Mr Jared D'Olivera didn't." Douglas frowned, then as comprehension dawned he turned to her, she raised a brow, then added, "Look don't worry about it." She decided she had had enough of that particular topic. Time to turn the tables. "So what about you?"

"Me?" Douglas seemed puzzled. He was just working through the implications of Nigel's statement.

"Hmm, you? Think I can get my dad to persuade you to take me out? Caitlin questioned drolly.

"Why would you want to go out with a guy with my scar riddled face?"

She looked him over. He did his best not to squirm. "I think Elias' scars aren't as bad as yours. But actually both of you are all the more interesting for them!"

"Right." He grumbled self-consciously. Douglas was somewhat bemused by her reaction. She wasn't afraid to talk about his scars. Nor was she willing to pretend they weren't visible.