Captivation Part 20

"What?" Caitlin looked at him as if he had gone mad. Then she realised that he was serious and then she noticed that he was moving toward her. She moved back, in automatic self-preservation response. "I don't think so. You just hold it right there. I have no intention of.... oooph." The breath slammed out her as she was hauled into his arms and his mouth accurately found and settled on hers.

Except settled didn't even begin to describe the act. He was an expert was her last sane thought before she was startled back into reality by several people muttering embarrassed apologies and moving on. Jared did not look bothered at all. The fact people had seen them kiss did not appear to faze him. A couple of people tried to sheepishly pretend they hadn't seen that kiss. Douglas caught Jared's eye before Douglas stepped back into the hall. The two men nodded.

"Oh Shit!" Caitlin snapped and Jared spun around to face her. She then ran her fingers through her hair leaving it in total disarray. Jared studied her, her lips were swollen, her hair was tousled, her eyes were flashing. She looked nothing like an ice queen. She looked enticing and gorgeous and he wanted to kiss her again. Without observers scheduled.

"It's fine." Jared told her softly, his eyes still on her lips. Now that they were alone, he had time to think about that kiss. That was some kiss. For someone who looked so sweet and innocent that was anything but innocent. He was experienced enough to know that kiss was exceptional. Before he started to read more into the kiss then he wanted to, he gave himself a quick silent reprimand and reminded himself about the purpose of the kiss.

Caitlin was ready to wallop the man. How dare he take liberties! "Like hell, it's fine." She glared, his eyes flicked up to clash with angry jet shooting sparks. "You wanted to see me get mad, well brace yourself!" She moved toward him. "That stupid kiss will probably do the rounds in there like a wild fire." She pointed out, agitated beyond measure.

"Exactly." He said smoothly, amused by her flash of temper and aroused by the spirited woman in front of him. Jared was starting to wonder whether he had made a huge mistake that evening he had told her to take him off her list! He wasn't keen to be husband fodder, but he figured being on her list temporarily might have been a lot of fun. Looking at the woman in temper just now suggested a very passionate soul lay beneath that veneer of light weight gloss. Even now, just watching her eyes spark was fascinating. And unexpected.

"Exactly? What the hell does that mean?" She jammed her hands on her hips. Caitlin was furious. She might have been slow to figure out what was going on, but she was pretty sure she now knew it was a set up. He looked way too calm. Given his very public claim about not wanting to get involved with her, being caught kissing her should be annoying the hell out of him. Instead he looked smug. Which could only mean that he had set this up. He intended for them to be seen kissing. The man was an idiot!

Jared shrugged, completely unaffected by the fact they had been seen. That was the fundamentals of his plan. "They'll wonder why I was kissing you if I really thought you were spoilt or useless." He grinned with a great deal of charm and a total lack of awareness of the storm that was brewing.

Caitlin's temper escalated. Her eyes narrowed. Sparked. She banked down temper. Held onto the words that were queuing up to be spewed out and counted to ten. Slowly. Then she said very quietly and purposefully, "You. Set. That. Up."

Jared flashed her a quick look. He was surprised to see just how furious she looked. Ok, she wasn't just cross about being seen. She did not like the fact he had arranged for them to be seen. He shifted uncomfortably, suddenly realising that she was beyond incensed. Ok, so the ice was just a front, there was heaps of passion in the glare coming his way. She looked ready to explode. Jared figured he ought to explain. Maybe that would help calm her down. If she understood that he did it for her. "I'm trying to repair the damage I caused." His words simply served to fuel her anger. Ok, so she could do mad. She looked ready to deck him.