Captivation Part 21

Looking infinitely pleased with himself, Jared shrugged. "I was starting to wonder how you could have missed the object of the exercise!" Jared told her. He had started to wonder why it had taken her so long to figure out he was helping her by kissing her.

Caitlin nearly hissed in annoyance. "You sanctimonious, arrogant, jerk! So throughout that kiss, your mind was on when Douglas and his friends were going to show up, how long did you have to keep your lips on mine? When could you stop? How long should you keep kissing me?" She glared. Then added more quietly, "How do you think that makes me feel?"

Jared stopped suddenly. He smothered what he was about to say and thought about what she had just said. He could now see what she was getting at. "I'm sorry." He said quietly.

"Not half as sorry as I am." Caitlin backed a step away. She felt exhausted. All that temper was draining! She wanted to leave. Get away from here as soon as possible.

"I'll make it up to you." Jared told her softly.

"I don't think so." She snorted with utter disdain. She looked him up and down and shook her head, "No thanks! I don't like your strategies."

"I will sort this." He stepped closer. Ok, perhaps kissing her with one eye open for the entrance of the crowd Douglas had sent in their direction was not the most flattering thing to do. But when he had started that kiss he had the big plan in mind. But as soon as his lips touched hers, the plan, along with the fact they were in a public space just went out of his mind. Everything faded into the background. Everything but the fact he was kissing her. And she was kissing him back. For a man with significant experience, it was somewhat humbling to find an innocent kiss could render you bereft of thought. The only thing that had mattered, at that moment in time, was the fact he was kissing her and she was kissing him back.

The sound of voices, the giggling, and shuffling had brought him back to earth with a bump. He recovered faster than she did, which was a blessing for he opened his eyes to find Douglas watching him with open speculation. Clearly Douglas had noticed that the kiss that was meant to be staged was anything but staged. It was just a pity that Caitlin had failed to note the difference.

"How?" She tipped her head up to glare at him, "What big plan do you have now?" She was not going to hang around for any more of his ridiculous plans. Not if she wanted some small part of her reputation intact.

"A small plan." He said quietly and taking her chin between his thumb and fingers he tipped her chin. Caitlin saw his intent even before he voiced the words, "a kiss."

"No way." She twisted out of his loose grip and tried to move away. "Not again!" She glared.

But his hands caught her face and his head descended. She had her eyes open as his lips fastened on hers. With his eyes open he began to taste her, slowly persuading her to respond. He seemed to be trying to imprint every nuance of her lips, the texture, the taste, the heat. Then his tongue brushed against the seam of her lips and she practically wilted. She didn't realise his hands had released her head until his hands hauled her butt closer. Astonished to find her head freed, she should have broken the kiss. But she couldn't. Not when his tongue was dancing tantalizingly across her lips. That was all it took to concede. He wrapped his arms around her waist. She closed her eyes. His tongue teased until she eased open her mouth. He gently began to explore, tracing her inner lip, grazing her tongue, stroking gently past her lips. His tongue enticed hers, cajoled it into following him. She tasted him, his lower lip, the inner side of his upper lip, she fenced with his tongue, and felt her legs give way. Jared was taken by surprise. He hadn't expected the jolt of electricity and he certainly hadn't anticipated being lost in the kiss.