Captivation Part 11

Several minutes after entering the crowded room, from his secure vantage point by one of the doors leading to the verandah, Jared spotted Caitlin. At least he thought it was her.

"Aunty Cait. Dance!" Two-year-old Sophie stood beside Caitlin who had bobbed down to talk to her. Caitlin tried to smile, tried to form words, but it was difficult when a two year old sandwiched your face between their hands and squashed your cheeks when they turned your head to get your attention. Her niece could be a handful. Precocious. Demanding. Charming!

Then Sophie let go of Caitlin's face and took her aunt by the hand as she attempted to drag the adult forward. "Cooooommmmm on!" She ordered with utter determination. It never failed to amaze Caitlin how easily her niece was able to manipulate the adults in her world. Her granddad doted on her, but then she was his first grandchild. And her parents pretended to be strict, but seemed to cave as soon as Sophie looked beseechingly at them, and Caitlin was no better. She simply couldn't resist doing what her niece wanted. Which probably accounted for Sophie's self-esteem and strength of character.

"Go on." Georgia laughingly told her younger sister, acknowledging the fact that her daughter was well able to control the adults in her vicinity. "You know she won't give up." Georgia grinned reminding Caitlin that mother and daughter had similar smiles. In fact, Sophie was the spitting image of her mother at that age. "She's determined. I wonder where she got that from?"

"Yeah, I wonder." Caitlin sniggered and got to her feet. Then she looked over her sister and said with a cheeky smile, "I think we should make this a family dance."

"Ohhh nooo!" Georgia laughed and rubbed her tummy gently. She sounded smug as she added with pointed reference, "I'm pregnant." She gave her protruding belly another gently sweep.

Caitlin ignored that attempt to avoid the looming spectacle. "Yeah. Your point is?" Caitlin tugged at her sister's hand. Just because Georgia was pregnant was not going to be sufficient excuse to avoid becoming part of what was bound to be an embarrassing exhibition.

"Sophie, do you want mummy to dance with us?"

Sophie nodded and beamed in delight. Georgia threw her sister a look. Caitlin laughed.

Georgia often thought her daughter got her resolve from her aunt! Though Georgia's husband was equally tenacious, so that was more likely to be the source for Sophie's stubbornness. "I'm not going in there." Georgia said adamantly as Caitlin finally hauled her to her feet.

Caitlin recognized the look in her sister's eyes and decided that they would have to stay and dance, exactly where they were. For unlike Georgia, Caitlin firmly believed that Sophie's obstinacy came from her mother! So Caitlin decided that she ought to cut her losses and agree to dance where they were rather than attempt to drag her sister into the main hall. "OK. Sophie," She turned and smiled at her niece, " let's dance here, so mummy can dance too."

Sophie really didn't care where they danced as long as they danced. She loved music, and loved dancing. Though from where she stood the adults in her life seemed to be really boring when it came to dancing. Mummy and daddy just stood together and hugged and rocked from side to side. Granddad did some funny wiggly thing but he was really slow. Even Aunty Cait just kind of did a shuffly step. Sophie was going to teach them all to dance one day.

"Come G! Sophie and I are ready to groove!"

"Groove?" Georgia snorted. "Groove? Do you know how much that dates you?"

"Stop stalling. Come on." Caitlin tugged her sister forward. Sophie had taken her mother's other hand and was also tugging her forward. Georgia huffed. But she smiled as well. Then, as far as both adult women were concerned, the music changed to a standard common twist. And so the three of them stood and did the twist amidst lots of giggling.