Captivation Part 38

Joe thought he had misheard Caitlin. "What?" He looked baffled.

Caitlin turned and reached behind her for the cutlery drawer. She picked up a spoon, "Do you want some cereal?" Joe shook his head in response, so she only retrieved one spoon. Then she walked over to a cupboard and got a bowl out.

"Cait! You are stalling!"

"He was expecting me to apologise. To him!" Caitlin repeated.

"Are you serious?" He was struggling to make sense of the information she was supplying, and what he had seen and what he knew! The man who had just left had kissed Caitlin. Albeit a peck on the lips. But a kiss. The same man thought she was a spoilt rich bitch? And he had come round to apologise. Those were the key bits of information he needed to hold onto. Now to make sense of it all.

Caitlin could almost see the cogs in Joe's mind at work. She took pity on him. "It's a long story. I'll just make me a coffee and I'll tell you all about it." She told him as the kettle boiled.

Ten minutes later Joe was laughing and shaking his head. Joe reassessed Jared. Looked like the man had changed his mind about Caitlin. "So is he a good kisser?"

Caitlin giggled. "I never kiss and tell." She winked feeling somewhat better having recounted her meetings with Jared and putting things into perspective. She had put a more positive spin on events. But she was also starting to realise that in the grand scheme of life what had transpired thus far was just a series of minor fiascos. Life could be a lot uglier than that, she knew that.

"Looked like there's a lot going on between you two." Joe pushed. He was pleased to see the red hue that crept up her neck. He was sure she was interested in that man, despite what she said.

Caitlin huffed and then looked somewhat affronted. "That's the trouble! It's not flattering, is it? Some guy telling you your dad can't buy him for you!"

"Oh, I don't know. There's scope. I think." She looked skeptical. "Just saying! If you want a guy's perspective." Joe shrugged. "I think there's potential there. He's doing his damndest to fix things. That's not a sign of a guy who wants out! Why hasn't he just walked? Hmm? Why come round to ask for an apology? If he wasn't interested in you why not steer well clear? Hmm?" Caitlin let those questions sink in. Joe nearly smiled. Jared would owe him big time. "What are you going to do?" Joe asked for he could see from her reaction that despite pretending not to like the man, she knew there was something going on between them.

Caitlin sighed and shrugged. She really wasn't sure any more. She liked Jared. That was the trouble. It was a hell of a lot more than like! And she knew that with his record, she'd be putty in his hand if she continued to see him. That man was so out of her league. The difference between her experience and his experience was the equivalent of his racing a sports car around a race track while she pedaled a tricycle.

Caitlin lifted her mug and took a sip of the now lukewarm coffee. What was she going to do? Did she have the courage to take a chance? Risk her heart?

"I think you should go." Joe said quietly.

"Why?" She peered at him over her mug.

"Because you and I both know there's something simmering here! And Nigel and Candy will be expecting you." Joe stated. "And to be honest I think you need to give him a fair go!"

"Emotional blackmail." She suggested softly. "You aren't playing matchmaker by any chance?"

"You and Nigel?" He shook his head. Caitlin reached across and thumped his arm. "Ouch."

"Mr Adonis and I have nothing further to talk about. Nothing." But she hoped that perhaps, at some level, they just might have something worth holding on to. She just wasn't sure whether he did long term. And she knew she didn't do short term. "He's so annoying!"

"If you say so." Joe smothered his smile. He glanced up at her and said with a shrug, "Just go have a good time with Nigel and Candy."

"I'll think about it." Muttered Caitlin.

"Go on Cait." He got up to wash his mug, "What were you going to do Friday night?" He glanced over his shoulder, "Come to think of it, when was it you last had a date?" Joe and Leah had known Caitlin for years. Leah and Caitlin were at dance classes together when they were at University and had soon become friends. Joe and Leah had also met at University as they were both doing the same degree course. It was only a matter of time before Joe met Leah's friends, including Caitlin. And the three had remained friends ever since.

"None of your business."

"Hah, can't remember." Joe teased. She ignored him. Joe grinned. Then he asked. "You really expect me to believe you don't fancy him?" He shook his head. "Known you too long Cait." He grinned, "You like the guy. Admit it."

"You do know it's rude to pry, right?"

Joe ignored that pointed question as he asked her, "Why don't you want to get involved with him?" He looked speculatively at Caitlin, "He's gone to a lot of trouble to come here in person, to talk to you."

"He's just being difficult."

Joe shook his head. "Trust me. I'm a guy. I know when another man is putting in the hard yards!"

Caitlin snorted at that.

Joe grinned, "And I know when you are burying your head in the sand." His smile widened, "Brace yourself Cait! That man wants you. He isn't messing around. He wants you in his life. Permanently." And the minute Joe said the words he knew that he had hit the nail squarely on the head. Jared wasn't looking for a quick lay. He wanted a lifetime with Caitlin.

Caitlin snorted again. But in her heart she hoped it was true.