Captivation Part 22

So two weeks later, on a warm sunny day, Candy, Nigel, Jared and Caitlin met once again. They, along with the teams who had come second and third at the treasure hunt were booked to spend a weekend at a high-end country cottage. The teams had to make their own way to the cottage, and as a consequence people arrived in dribs and drabs over the course of the Friday evening and Friday night. Candace, Nigel and Caitlin had chosen to travel together. Jared drove up with Douglas and two of the girls from Douglas' team as they had come third in the treasure hunt.

Jared and Caitlin had not seen each other since the treasure hunt event. Though neither had forgotten what had transpired both had hoped they could move on and that the weekend would pass without event. Caitlin was particularly edgy, given the number of people who had seen that kiss were also going to be at the cottage, and they no doubt would be keen to see how Caitlin and Jared got on now. She just hoped she and Jared did not provide any more fodder for the curious.

Jared and Caitlin probably would not have provided further fodder, had it not been for one minor development. Or as far as Jared was concerned, not so small development.

It was just unfortunate that a couple of hours before Jared and Douglas set off for this weekend, Jared had read the latest notice in the local community e-newsletter that came out every Friday. He'd only bothered to check just in case there were last minute changes to details for the weekend plan. To say he was unhappy, after reading the two-line entry in the newsletter, was a serious understatement.

For the newsletter reported that he had was engaged to Caitlin!

Jared had read and read the two line entry several times, thinking he must have been misreading the information. But no, there it was, in black and white. Congratulations to Mr Jared D'Olivera and Miss Caitlin Fonseca on their recent engagement.

The announcement was one of three listed in the e-newsletter. Of course he'd phoned the editor, instantly and demanded to know who'd posted the message. And Jared got the shock of his life when the editor told Jared that the notice was posted by Caitlin's father! For several long seconds Jared just glared at the phone. Caitlin's father? Jared was beyond incensed. If her father seriously thought he could dragoon Jared into marrying his precious daughter he was about to learn the hard way just how wrong he was. Kissing Caitlin was one thing, but in Jared's books it did not mean marriage. Even if her father thought marriage was the next logical step.

Given he was going to be seeing Caitlin in a few hours Jared fully intended to take that opportunity to have words with Caitlin. What were she and her father thinking? Did they not realise that Jared and Caitlin would be the subject of talk when people saw them at the cottage this weekend? Or perhaps that was the plan. Make sure that Caitlin and Jared were seen together.

It wasn't exactly a cottage, but a large converted Steading with 5 large bedrooms that housed a combination of double and single beds. There were four communal bathrooms, two with baths and the two with four shower cubicles. The open plan kitchen lounge was vast, with a breakfast counter that divided the two areas. The dining table ran the length of the room and sat 20 comfortably. The sitting room was a large open plan space that linked the bedrooms to the utility areas. It was an impressive place.

It was just a pity that it planned to host a group who had yet to gel let alone get on socially. Never-the-less Lisa explained the sleeping arrangements and allocated rooms and roommates for the weekend. Caitlin found she was sharing a room with Candy and another couple of girls. It did not really bother her as she figured with Candy for company they'd both manage.

With everyone present, Lisa also took the opportunity to explain the plans for the whole weekend and in particular the details for Saturday. They would be horse riding to a lunch spot by the lake. A picnic had been arranged and they would spend a couple of hours at the lake before riding back to the stables, they would then be driven back. Take away meals had been ordered for Friday night, Saturday was a meal in town, Sunday night was up to them.