Captivation Part 42

They met one month later at Candy's and Nigel's engagement party. It wasn't for want of trying to contact her. But when he'd asked Candy for Caitlin's phone number Candy explained that she was out of the country on another assignment.

Jared tracked Caitlin's entrance, following her progress through the crowd of people as Candy introduced her to several of her friends. Jared followed her movements. He'd thought about calling Caitlin a couple of times. He wasn't sure what it was about her that made him hesitate, because he couldn't remember the last time he'd felt nervous about trying to establish a relationship. But with her it was different. There was so much at stake. And he did not want to blow it. Jared watched Caitlin smile as she acknowledged an introduction. He watched her steer out of an over zealous hug. He was sure she hadn't seen him and wondered when she'd realise that Candy was steering her toward him. It seemed like a long time, when it was in reality less than ten minutes, before she was standing before his crowd.

"And of course you know Jared." Candy beamed, having made all the introductions and saving Jared for last.

"Of course. Jared. How are you?" Caitlin pinned a smile to her lips. She'd been away for weeks and still she hadn't been able to forget him. Now as she stood facing him, she felt her pulse race. He looked amazing. But then he always did. That wasn't the sole reason for why she was attracted to the man, but it certainly helped. She nearly smiled at her whimsy.

"Good. And you?" He couldn't help the fact his gaze tracked from the top of her head to the tips of her toes.

"Very well thank you." She replied blandly fully aware of is scrutiny. She'd had two weeks to think about why she had told him about how she felt at the time her mother died. It wasn't even as if they were somewhere primed to trigger a confidence sharing situation. They had been in a public place, surrounded by people, with lots of chatter around them, and she had told him about that time in her life when everything was turned on it's head. Was that too much information? Surely people did not unload personal information like that on a first date!

The dawning silence was quickly filled by Candy. "Well, now that's all the introductions done. I should show you where the drinks are, because it seems like Nigel has got himself lost in this crowd." She threaded her arm through Caitlin's and with a casual shrug led her away. They were just a few steps away when Candy looked at her friend and frowned. "What was that about?" Candy asked under her breath.

"What?" Caitlin's mind was still on Jared. It did not appear to matter what he wore. He looked amazing. She thought it had a lot to do with the fact that he oozed confidence, so carried off what he wore without having to try. Like tonight, he was wearing clothes similar to that worn by many of the other men in the room. But unlike them, he managed to standout. It wasn't just the breadth of his shoulders, or his height that gave his clothes that added dimension. Beneath that veneer of manners and social protocol was that frisson of danger. That's what gave him that edge. That sense of barely leashed danger. This man was not tame! That's what permeated despite his attire. And that's what attracted the women and what made the men envious.

Candy snorted and glanced over her shoulder, only to see that Jared was still tracking them. She threw him a smile and turned back to say to Caitlin in a whisper, "Don't give me that. You and Jared? Just now? You aren't still holding a grudge over ..."

Caitlin shrugged. "His public denunciation of me? No." That wasn't the reason for her cool response. She figured that was going to be her shield. Remain cool.

Candy laughed. "That was months ago."

"Your point is?" Caitlin chuckled. If Candy wanted to believe Caitlin was being frosty because she was still miffed about Jared's public comments, then that was fine. It would be easier to handle an inquisition based on that error then face an inquisition that targeted her real reason for being cool. She was still grappling with what to do about how she felt about the man!