Captivation part 33

Jared and Caitlin took their seats as did the others. John took his time to explain some of the rudiments. Then he set them to do a small task involving a block of clay. A sudden quiet descended for a few seconds as everyone concentrated. A few minutes later the quiet was broken as chatter resumed with the various pairs comparing their efforts to work with the clay. Some thirty minutes later they were ready to begin working with the wheel.

Caitlin looked at Jared, inviting him to get started and have a go at the wheel first. Jared shook his head, "Ladies first." He said and gestured for her to have the first go at throwing a pot. He wondered whether she would accept the challenge that was in his eyes.

Caitlin pushed up her sleeves and took the piece of new block of clay they had just been given. Jared watched her as she began to pummel it, making it softer.

"I hope that's not my head you're imagining."

"Too small." She retorted without missing a beat. Jared threw back his head and laughed. Which meant several heads turned to look at them.

"You're making a scene." She admonished just before she slapped it onto the centre of the wheel. Then she glanced up at him and found him watching her with open speculation. "Here goes." She muttered and switched the wheel on. It began to rotate. Keeping her hands firm she gently began to mould the outside, drawing the clay up slowly.

"Impressive." Jared murmured watching as she worked the clay.

"Don't speak too soon." She retorted but kept her focus on the clay. John who was walking amongst the groups checking on their progress, offering to help where needed then headed for Jared and Caitlin.

"How's it going?" John asked when he was within a foot of them.

"Got a professional here." Jared told John with a smile. Caitlin was surprised to hear the pride in Jared's voice. But she didn't dare look up. First because she didn't want to be disappointed just in case he wasn't proud of her work and was just being sarcastic, and second because she didn't want the clay to collapse into disarray.

"Looks that way." John agreed, as he watched Caitlin a while longer. Then he said with conviction in his voice, "You've done this before."

"A few years back." She admitted but still did not glance up at John as the clay was just how she wanted it, but that was only because she was still concentrating.

"Well, I'll leave you to it then." John said with a smile. Caitlin faltered. "Just keep going the way you are." He smiled, and though she didn't look at him, she heard it in his voice, "You're doing a good job."

So Caitlin kept going.

When John walked away, leaving Caitlin and Jared alone again, Jared couldn't help smiling. She was so determined not to let the clay collapse. "You have any other hidden talents?" Jared asked her, as he took the seat beside her.

"That I can talk about in public?" Caitlin asked flippantly but continued to keep her eyes on the clay and stay focused on keeping the pot shape intact. It also meant that if she kept her attention on the clay she didn't over think the fact she was sitting alongside Jared.

Jared laughed. "So where did you learn to do this?"

"On one of my teaching exchanges. The locals taught me. Though they didn't have electric wheels." It was several years ago. She remembered the basics.

Jared hesitated for a second, then said, "I imagine you can ride too." She flicked a quick look at him. Saw the teasing light and pursed her lips, "I meant you can ride horses." He clarified with a rueful chuckle. "So why didn't you come out with us yesterday?"